Please help... Internall parasite infection

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Im very stressed and pissed off. After time and money spent re setting up the tank cycling it and getting everything perfect I go and buy some cichluds and what do you know the odds that on the first day I probably have a parasite problem on my hands. My Green Terror has "Sunk Belly" which is from what I hear a highly contagious Tapeworm parasite. I made a diagnosis based on the Green terrors white clear stringy feces and his concave belly. And The eggs are in the feces and The two other fish are screwed they will probably get it.... What do I do I really can't afford to go buy damn medicine. How can I prove it is parasites... All the fish came from the same store. Basically just can someone tell me my options on what to do here. I'm very pissed off about the whole situation it seems everything that can go wrong HAS gone wrong in my experience with the hobby and it's beginning take the fun out of raising cichlids:irked::confused:

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
Sorry to say but that is part of fish keeping. Go to Walmart and pick up some parasite clear by jungle. That's the cheapest meds your gonna find. It's only a couple bucks. follow the directions completely. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Sorry to say but that is part of fish keeping. Go to Walmart and pick up some parasite clear by jungle. That's the cheapest meds your gonna find. It's only a couple bucks. follow the directions completely. Good luck

Can I just take the Green Terror out or since he has pooped is the whole tank at risk

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
If it were me I would treat the whole tank. I'm sure some people will say do a hospital tank. Imo with parasites the tank should be treated. Parasite clear isn't that stressful to the fish especially in the short treatment time. Prazi and metro are the active ingredients.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
You need to separate the meaner fish that pose threats to the sick fish. These guys tend to get hex if stressed daily. That's how it got like that. Epsom salt with water change, and Parsite guard as mentioned will cure your fish in about couple doseage. GL it can be cured; just dont let it eat up your fish slowly; cure now

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
How big is the tank? Are all the fish new or just the gt?

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
All of them are new I got them today and there is no aggression they are all basically fry at 1.5 inches

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I'd treat the tank as directed above. IMO you should wait until you can provide for your pets before you buy them. I don't have a dog because I can't afford vet bills. I don't have a child because I can't afford to support one. Treating diseases is a big part of successful fishkeeping and I doubt this will be the last time you have to give your fish medicine.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
If you just got it yesterday and it has advanced hexamita, I would have taken it back to the LFS and demanded my money back for selling me a sick fish. Unfortunately you can tell by looking at it that it's not well, so they probably would put the blame back on you. Prazi is for flatworms like tapeworm and useless against hexamita, though I suppose it doesn't hurt to do a prazi treatment just to rule out tapeworm. However, the white, stringy feces and lack of an appetite, as well as the wasting away (skinny, sunken look), are usually intestinal flagellates or hexamita. For that I always treat with pure metronidazole powder. I do a seven day treatment, with water changes and redosing every day, as well as keeping the heat elevated to 86F - 88F. I've never tried any of the commercial meds so I can't say how effective they are.

I don't think you need to treat the whole tank if your other fish are eating well and look healthy (not skinny or sunken in), and have black/normal feces. If it's just the one fish you can isolate it into a small QT tank and treat it individually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store