Feeder fish

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Ideally you should always quarantine feeder fish, if it's even necessary to use live food.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
I buy 3-4 dozen goldfish and put them in a ten g tank and a few will die off but it's good to get the sick ones out so they don't pass on a disease to the fish your feeding.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Whenever I get feeders I put them in a 10g with salt and API general cure and qt them for at least 2 weeks. A few die off as well but that just tells me that those shouldn't be fed to the fish anyways and I only feed the veggie flakes

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I keep a feeder tank,sixty gallons,as I have a few stalwarts who haven't taken to pellets yet and all new feeders are treated as if they carry parasites.I quarantine,medicate,and feed them before they are used.

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
Whenever I get feeders I put them in a 10g with salt and API general cure and qt them for at least 2 weeks. A few die off as well but that just tells me that those shouldn't be fed to the fish anyways and I only feed the veggie flakes

I do put some ich cure stuff I bought from a local shop. I'll look into the stuff you use. How is your setup for the tank? What's the temperature for your tank? Is a 30gallon filter too powerful? Do you have any lighting in it? I usually just poor in the ich cure stuff and wait till the next day. I don't feed the dead ones but the other alive ones always start to die on me later...

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1430005221.392286.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1430005235.592196.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The only feeder fish I've used were live bearers or cichlid fry. I don't trust store bought fish. I have had tanks where I've had mollies in the tank and let the fry be eaten and I've had tanks where I raised mollies and grew out the young for this purpose.

If you must use fat head minnows the a QT tank is necessary two is better. Tank one for initial QT and deworming etc. and tank two for holding and feeding. They should IMO spend at minimum two weeks in the first tank before being moved to the second. A good established sponge filter in the second tank is all you need. The first tank will be sustained by water changes and depending on meds. Prazi. meth blue, salt etc can use just an air stone and daily water changes. The best thing to do is find an alternative ASAP. HTH.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Your setup is better than what I have for feeders. It's literally just a 10g and a sponge filter. No heater at all. I don't even have it setup all the time. Just when I get a new fish that isn't off live and needs fattening up, I grab a sponge filter from another tank and just set it in there then pour one packet of general cure in and that's it.

jordanroda

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
I Love L.A.
I have a 20 gallon with over 100 feederfancy guppies + 5 corycats...Jordy has no heart to feed them to my SilverDragon...:ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store