Live Plants

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
New to live plants with the fish but I love the look! However, how does the food for them affect the fish? How do I keep both in good shape? I know they like the CO2 and there are treatment solutions you can buy at the pet store but what's good?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Depends on how much you love plants.

With a good bed of substrate and good lights you can fill the tank up with real plants. If you want a designer planted aquarium with a "lawn" and stuff, then it gets pretty complicated and you'll need to inject C02 and dose certain fertilizers and trim the plants in a certain way, etc.

The plants I've had best luck with are Amazon Swords and Giant Vals. They're hardy, don't need C02 injection, and grow and spread quickly.

I've had 2 planted tanks with good results. They each have about 2 watts of LEDs per gallon of water, and 2"+ of planted substrate - the kind you can buy at Petco or Petsmart. No C02, no fertilizers. The plants are great for aquariums - they help filter the water like activated charcoal, they prevent algae, fish like them, and they will always look better than fake plants.

Plants LOVE fish poop, its natural fertilizer. With good substrate and a fully planted tank you don't have to clean the substrate at all, the poop and debris sinks into the substrate and is eventually "eaten" by the plants.

The downsides to planted aquariums is if a plant dies, you should take it out so it doesn't rot. You'll want a "clean up crew" - some Bristlenose plecos, amano shrimp, snails, etc. Not always practical in a "monster" tank. Also, larger fish uprooting plants can be a pain, although plants like Amazon Swords and Giant Vals have pretty deep root systems and aren't easily uprooted. If your lights fail all your plants will die which will also probably kill the fish, so you have to make sure your lights are consistent. Overall, I really like planted aquariums (obviously).

These are the 2 planted tanks I've had with good success.

3-30-15 FTS.jpgFishTank.jpg

This is probably my favorite planted "monster" tank, 185g silver dollar tank (not mine)

DSC_0053_zps6nxaotr6.jpg

3-30-15 FTS.jpg

FishTank.jpg

DSC_0053_zps6nxaotr6.jpg

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
If you really want to get into it, inject co2. I've got a ten lbs co2 cylinder on my 150 and it's just so much easier than daily dosing of liquid co2.

If you want to go the liquid route just google glutaraldehyde, then you can make your own solution rather than paying a ton for Seachem Excel.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
if your not trying to do a fully planted tank you do not need CO2. you do not need a plant substrate either, use normal sand or gravel a few inches deep and just get the proper color temperature lighting. 6500k bulbs, 6700k bulbs down to 5500k and plants will grow. my 200 was fully planted and all I used was lighting and sand substrate. every month or so I would add some fertilizers after a water change as I had a 20 gallon fully planted with co2 at the time as well so I had fertilizers on hand. the aquarium would have been fine without it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store