what do you guys do with cracked tanks?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I had a 29 gallon crack and now I use it as a "target dummy" meaning I use it to practice hole sawing tanks. This way I was able to see what ways shatter glass and what ways don't. After about an hour of playing around with different angles/etc. like an idiot, I finally decided to drill a new 29 gallon and I did it perfectly. What about you guys?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I gave one to a buddy for a tarantula tank

Otherwise I toss em. The last one I cut apart and wrapped the panels in cardboard and put it in a dumpster

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

azmtns

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Prescott, AZ
I cut out the good panels and use them for tops in my fishroom. It is a good way for cheap glass. I have a glass cuting tool, and cut corners for air lines and food access, etc. Old cracked tanks are a good source of glass for the fishroom. Especially since you can bust out the broken side, and then carefully cut out the silicone and have nice pieces. Sand the sides so you don't cut yourself and you have excellent thickness for glass tops.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would disassemble and save the glass. I'm a big DIY guy and I'm certain I'll find a use for it in the future.

I'm glad that you at least utilized it as a learning tool (practicing your glass drilling) and not just simply discard it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store