how do you make a fish stop attacking another?

dakota954

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
United States
I currently have a 150, upgrading to an oceanic 200. In it I will have an African tiger pike and silver arowana. I had the silver arowana growing up in a 20 gallon temporarily. Both the African tiger pike (hepsetus odoe) and silver arowana are about 7 inches long. The other day I put the arowana in the 150 with the pike and the pike will not leave him alone. He's constantly bothering him and he beat up on the arowana a bit so I removed him. The pike seems aggressive towards any fish I put in the tank. I was wondering if I remove the pike and let the arowana get established in the tank then put the pike back in if there will be the same amount of aggression since the pike would now be the new fish in the tank? Any way I can keep the pike from beating on my arowana?

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
separate them, power feed aro to gain size then reintroduce.
otherwise might find aro in bad shape or dead soon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I was going to suggest growing out the aro a bit more. My Odoe will pick on almost any fish his size or smaller. I've kept him with 2 different silvers, both of which I introduced when they were larger than the pike. I never really had an issue with the combo that way.

Odoe's are relatively slow growers anyway. It shouldn't take long for the aro to get significantly larger than him, then you can try reintroducing them.

Good luck!

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
If I was you, I'd take the pike out for a few weeks, change up the decor if possible and add the aro, once the aro settles in, add back the pike. Keep an eye on them and see what happens, atleast the aro will get a chance to settle in and go from there. If u want since silvers can get aggressive too, change up the decor and then add the pike. Either way it will give u a better chance to have them live together in "peace" !

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Perhaps a divider, if doable....until aro catches up in size

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Whack the aggressor on the head with a hammer. That will put an end to the aggression and the fish. LOL! Actually, there is little that can be done to stop an aggressive fish from picking on other tankmates. Sometimes you just have to get rid of the fish.

biggfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2008
MO
Adding different decor and changing the tank up can help. Also, consider adding more fish like a school of big silver dollars to distract them from each other.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store