My new MBU puffer

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I just got a new MBU puffer a few weeks age it is about 5 inches long.I heard that they were very aggressive and was going to keep it in my 400 gallon Brackish water tank,but when I put it into my tank everything was chasing and nipping at till it went to the top corner of the tank and I took it out.I have large Mono Sabie reg mono and assorted scats.I put in my tank in the basement with a six inch Tigrenes cat.I have read that they like crabs snails and clams,but the only thing it eats is Minnows and after he eats a bunch it just sits on the bottom.I was wondering if this is normal for them when they are small,I was expecting a more outgoing fish with a personality.No one goes down stairs all day maybe that is why it is so shy.I even tried mussels and Octopus it nibbled at it and that was it.I was thinking of floating it in a basket till it got the smell of the other fish and it would be safe from getting attacked.Does any one have any suggestion who have kept them

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
It's not a Brackish fish and shouldn't have gone into a brackish tank with fish that don't belong being in the same tank with an MBU. Do some more research on the puffer and you will see it's requirements. You have most likely stressed it out moving it into a brackish tank and back out again. Mbu puffers are quite timid when small and aren't aggressive like you have heard. I couldn't even keep my 18" one with rays as they eventually stressed him out and I had to move him to a tank of his own.

Try feeding the mbu snails,mysis shrimp,krill,bloodworms and when it's gets bigger it will be strong enough to eat shimp shell on, crabs,clams,etc.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
My brackish water tank a salinity of1.004 to 1.008 I have kept non brackish in it with no problem at all.I think that maybe your fish was an exception to the rule as far as a aggression wise,because I have read about many people having to move them out of a ray tank for Takeing chunks out of them.from what I read about them is that they more likely to take a chunk out of any fish that is not active that is why thought my 400 gallon tank would be perfect,because its large enough to house is when it gets large.like I stated in the beginning of my post all it wants to eat is minnows and it curled up on the bottom of the tank.IS THIS NORMAL BEHAVIOR?after eating.I read that krill is not good for them and it did not eat small mystery snails or shucked musel or octopus.I don't think I stressed it out because it was in the tank for just a few minutes before I took it out.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
My brackish water tank a salinity of1.004 to 1.008 I have kept non brackish in it with no problem at all.I think that maybe your fish was an exception to the rule as far as a aggression wise,because I have read about many people having to move them out of a ray tank for Takeing chunks out of them.from what I read about them is that they more likely to take a chunk out of any fish that is not active that is why thought my 400 gallon tank would be perfect,because its large enough to house is when it gets large.like I stated in the beginning of my post all it wants to eat is minnows and it curled up on the bottom of the tank.IS THIS NORMAL BEHAVIOR?after eating.I read that krill is not good for them and it did not eat small mystery snails or shucked musel or octopus.I don't think I stressed it out because it was in the tank for just a few minutes before I took it out.
MBU's are not the aggressive puffers, as most people on here will attest they are like big puppies. Fahakas are the stereotypically aggressive puffers. It only takes a minute or two to stress a fish especially when the entire tank is turned against it. He'll eat snails, shrimp, crabs, anything with a shell more or less, plus prepared foods. AND YES HE'S PROBABLY FINE if hes loafing around after eating. I have a number of fish I would consider this to be normal behavior for.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Thank you for your feedback,why do you think its not eating snails and the musel just minnows? I have had it for about three weeks now,do you think when it gets larger I will be able to put in my large tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store