Black Armatus?!?

furcifer158

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
In the fish room
So I have had these guys for around 7 months now and one of them has always been a lot darker than the other. It also has no white edge on his tail fin. They have grown about the same rate and the lighter one has always been bigger. The darker one has been more aggressive too. Cool upside to its color is that his white teeth really pop out at you. Has anyone else ever had on this color?

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
That's normal. He's stress from the big one. Is he also blind in one eye, or has one eye damage? That could contribute to the dark color

furcifer158

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
In the fish room
That's normal. He's stress from the big one. Is he also blind in one eye, or has one eye damage? That could contribute to the dark color
Hes not blind, think he ran into a rock the other night when i forgot the night light, you might also be seeing water spots on the glass. Sorry bad pictures. I don't think he is stressed since most of the time the dark one is chasing the big one around. It has been this dark since the day I got it.

furcifer158

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
In the fish room
Update, he's getting bigger and darker. Trying to upload a video so you can see the two next to each other but I have poor Internet where I live. Might have to do it at work tomorrow.

2015-07-20 20.52.27.jpg

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Are you sure he's not stress? He's on the run the whole time in your video, from your other Armatus, even from the silver dollars. He's the smaller one of the two, and has sunken stomach.

furcifer158

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2008
In the fish room
Are you sure he's not stress? He's on the run the whole time in your video, from your other Armatus, even from the silver dollars. He's the smaller one of the two, and has sunken stomach.
I ran out of food on Friday and haven't bought any yet. I live 30 miles from my nearest LFS or petco. Might be why he looks skinny. The only reason I question that it is not from stress is that it is the more aggressive out of the two and is always the first to eat. If you watch close anytime the bigger one come by him he charges at him. The black ones body is looking different to me too now and not just the color. the tail fin is much smaller and it's teeth look to be staying smaller as well. The head has a deeper slope too compared to the larger one too.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
I would guess he is just reacting differently to the black substrate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store