A New Memeber keeping Silurus asotus, aka Amur Catfish

cochito

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2015
Shizuoka, Japan
Hello, Keepers! I just joined this group like a month ago, and this is my first post. I'm not sure if this is right place to introduce myself. If not, please correct me.
Anyway, I'm residing in Shizuoka City, Japan, and currently keeping a Silurus asotus, much smaller cousin of Wels, Silurus glanis. I caught it (possibly a male) at a rice paddy when he was just half an inch long. He's about 15 inches long now, which is almost the maximum length for a male(females get twice as large as males). I'll attach photos of him below. Well, I just wanted to say Hi and thank you for accepting me here!
Peace!

160.JPG161.JPG

160.JPG

161.JPG

Reactions: Chub_by

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Welcome! That's a nice fish. Thanks for sharing.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Welcome to MFK
That is a nice fish, what did you feed him when he was so small?

cochito

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2015
Shizuoka, Japan
what did you feed him when he was so small?
162.JPG163.JPG

I fed him like frozen bloodworms, mosquite larvaes that I collected from my backyard, Hikari Sinking Waffers(It's called Hikari Cat in Japan), earhworms that I collected from backyard, little feeder-fish, little chunk of sashimi(sliced fish meant to be eaten raw by humans), little frogs, and so on. I believe in balanced diet, so I might have given him other items too.
Nowadays, I mainly give him dry pellets (picture below), fish sold at supermarket for human consumption, chicken hearts, chicken- or pork-liver, and beef-haeart-based patty designed for discus. I haven't provided him live fish for a while since I can't spare any space for another tank to quarantine and gut-load them. I just gave him sashimi-calamari and silver-stripe round herrings(Spratelloides gracilis). Both of the items were sold at a supermarket. I'm always careful when buying food for him at supermarkets whether they are safe for him and whether their fat content is not too high.
Anyway, thanks

162.JPG

163.JPG

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice looking catfish....better looking than the wels in my opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store