Water Change Schedule

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
I'm thinking of changing my water change schedule. Currently I preform one weekly change of 60%. I was thinking about changing this to two weekly water changes of 30%. My thoughts on this is that two water changes will avoid a dramatic change in the water parameters, keeping the stress down and the water quality more of a constant.

What does everyone think of this?

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
two 30%'s a week should be fine. If your fish aren't effected by the changes from a 60% though and your parameters are in a good range (ammo,nitrites, nitrates) then its really up to you if you want the extra work per week.

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
The question is why is there a dramatic change between your tank and tap water? And what do you consider a dramatic difference exactly? Some factors have an effect, others have 0 effect.

I've been doing 50-60% water changes on all my tanks for like eternity without any negative effects on long term well being.
I'd say the more you change, the more often you change, the less likely you'll cause any stress because there won't be much difference between tank water and new water in terms of stats. It's more likely identical, the tank water being richer in organics and nitrates generally.

Stuff like high co2 levels in tap water and the resulting lower ph coming out of the tap as in my case has no effect on fish health and doesn't stress them. There's a difference of PH of nearly 1 point between tap and tank because of that but the CO2 outgasses very fast. Obviously the Kh, Gh and TDS remain constant and the only parameter slightly increasing at the end of the week is TDS, which is obvious because of pollution.

If you only do the one big water change in a blue moon, then that's a different story as water will always differ between tank and tap and changing the water may cause swings stressing the fish.
The point is, fish are healthier when the tank water is not left alone to a state where it's chemical composition changes dramatically over time. That's what causes major stress in fish, not the large water changes.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If you have a dramatic pH change after only 1 week, it will be a good idea to up the schedule. (acidification)
Could be as simple as your tap water just doesn't have enough buffering capacity to handle the organic load of you tank, its residents (urine production), or the metabolism going on in your filter.
I try to change water at least every other day, and almost every day in summer (because water from my tanks is automatically sent to the garden).

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I'm thinking of changing my water change schedule. Currently I preform one weekly change of 60%. I was thinking about changing this to two weekly water changes of 30%. My thoughts on this is that two water changes will avoid a dramatic change in the water parameters, keeping the stress down and the water quality more of a constant.

What does everyone think of this?
Is there actually a significant difference in water parameters or are you just assuming there would be? How do your fish behave, 20mins, after a wc? If they are acting normal after about 20 mins, you're large wc is fine.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I do 70% a week. 2 smaller changes a week would probably be better but time is a constraint. Unless you're using buckets the time difference between changing 40% or 80% is about the same. Or at least it is for me anyway.

In my opinion the only reason a large water change would be bad is if you went an extraordinarily long time between water changes then changed 3/4 of the tank water. If you are regularly changing large percentages of the tank water every week then things should stay pretty much consistent

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
My parameter are all fine, but i have extremely hard water and you can smell the chlorine in the tap water. So my thought were if I was to do two changes instead of one the afffect that the chlorine would have on the tank would be demnished. Now I use prime clear up the chlorine every time, but as i said smaller volume should have a small affect on the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store