Why do I have such bad luck with P. Breidohri?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I just lost my favorite fish who was extremely colorful, Starburst who was unlike all others I've seen. His brother was beaten up by Starbust, Starburst's girlfriend was killed by a black belt cichlid last year and Starburst's kids (3 of whom made it to 4" size) were all massacred in the growout tank by satanoperca daemon while I was gone to Korea. Man, it seems Breidohris are the least hardiest of all vieja/paratheraps,paraneetroplus. Everyone elses seem to get rare diseases quite easily....I still have Starburst's new female, but she's only about 3-4" right now. I'm willing to bet hundreds that she'll end up getting some unusual and impossible to treat disease like Starburst did or end up getting her eyes pecked out by her tank mates. Starburst was finally cured of ducklips, only to be beaten to death by a 7" male black belt cichlid. *sigh*

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
Sorry for the bad luck you've been having - it sucks. Something to consider though is that breidorhi are among the more peaceful of the genus, whereas blackbelts are notorious brutes, as your two instances with breidohri attest. In the future I would house breidohri with more peaceful companions.

All the best

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with fug202, I don't believe any species of Vieja/Paratheraps should be in the same tank together, unless its 300 gals+.
I had breidhori, with many spawnings, but kept them with other genus, peaceful cichlids without aggression problems, or disease. In fact because the other cichlids were peaceful, when the breidhori spawned, it was the other that were beaten up.
When mine were first shipped, they arrived with lymphocystus but with lots of water changes, and a stress free environment, it cleared up.
I always try to keep mitrate levels no higher the 5ppm.
Sorry for the bad luck you've been having - it sucks. Something to consider though is that breidorhi are among the more peaceful of the genus, whereas blackbelts are notorious brutes, as your two instances with breidohri attest. In the future I would house breidohri with more peaceful companions.

All the best

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Just look at what you can do to lessen what is happening.

Why are you getting disease? Is it from where you are getting the fish? Is your water optimal and at a good temp along with good diet?

I can't even remember when I lost a fish because it got beat up! Thats part of the reason that I don't do New world comm. tanks because I would always be in there with a net and pulling rocks to get rid of a bully! You need to monitor your fish more and guess what, they won't die unless you let them!!!!!

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Following your threads over the last few months, I see two main problems: lack of quarantine, and housing species together that are either incompatible or need a larger tank to coexist.

Strict quarantine should be followed when you're mixing fish from all different sources if you want to eliminate issues. For instance, I just imported some fish from a very well known, very reputable, very respected source (a man who has discovered species, had species named after him, etc.) and the fish I purchased still brought a nasty bacterial infection with them. On their second day in quarantine they were shedding slime and showing patchy sides, very similar to columnaris. I went through 10 days of 100% water changes and $160 worth of Furan-2. The fish look great now and are eating well, but had I introduced them to my other stock, I would have had major problems. You never know what the fish you're bringing home have been exposed to, or what they're carrying, and so I always stress quarantine to people. No matter how reputable a source, they cannot always know what unseen pathogens and parasites the fish they sell may be harboring. I keep most of my new cichlids in quarantine for 6 weeks. It's best to do this in a separate room if you can, with separate hoses, nets, etc. for the QT tank. Wash your hands thoroughly even when you're just feeding tanks. It may sound extreme, but if you're investing a ton of money into fish (in this case, I spent $900 plus $200 in import permit fees/airline fees) it's a no brainer.

On the second point -- cichlids are cichlids. I have mixed some odd combinations in the past. Some work, some fail miserably. If they fail, always have a backup plan. I shuffle fish around if need be. If you look around your house and think, "I don't have anywhere to put [insert species here] if things go south in my main tank" then you may want to think twice about acquiring that species. Again, this is one of those things that's easier said than done. Sometimes you want to work with a species and you buy it without thinking ahead. I have been burned there, too. But now I look at it from the angle of, "Okay, am I just throwing away money/putting this fish at risk by making an impulse buy?" If you're working with large and potentially aggressive cichlids, tank size is going to dictate in most cases how tolerable they'll be of tank mates. Actually, scratch that -- the same can be said for most cichlids. Example: I have some wild Andinoacara latifrons that were beating the crap out of each other in a 55 gallon growout tank. I shuffled some stock around and moved them to my 150 and they instantly calmed down and went about their business. It's not that they weren't compatible, but they needed their space.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also agree with the above, quarantine can't be emphasized enough.
And I've watch a pair of small (male 6" the female barely 3") JDs defend a territory of over 300 gallons in cenote Cristalino from any other cichlid.
I realize many people think I'm overly conservative about space, but I feel from observation in nature, space is one of the most misunderstood factors in cichlid keeping.

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Following your threads over the last few months, I see two main problems: lack of quarantine, and housing species together that are either incompatible or need a larger tank to coexist.

Strict quarantine should be followed when you're mixing fish from all different sources if you want to eliminate issues. For instance, I just imported some fish from a very well known, very reputable, very respected source (a man who has discovered species, had species named after him, etc.) and the fish I purchased still brought a nasty bacterial infection with them. On their second day in quarantine they were shedding slime and showing patchy sides, very similar to columnaris. I went through 10 days of 100% water changes and $160 worth of Furan-2. The fish look great now and are eating well, but had I introduced them to my other stock, I would have had major problems. You never know what the fish you're bringing home have been exposed to, or what they're carrying, and so I always stress quarantine to people. No matter how reputable a source, they cannot always know what unseen pathogens and parasites the fish they sell may be harboring. I keep most of my new cichlids in quarantine for 6 weeks. It's best to do this in a separate room if you can, with separate hoses, nets, etc. for the QT tank. Wash your hands thoroughly even when you're just feeding tanks. It may sound extreme, but if you're investing a ton of money into fish (in this case, I spent $900 plus $200 in import permit fees/airline fees) it's a no brainer.

On the second point -- cichlids are cichlids. I have mixed some odd combinations in the past. Some work, some fail miserably. If they fail, always have a backup plan. I shuffle fish around if need be. If you look around your house and think, "I don't have anywhere to put [insert species here] if things go south in my main tank" then you may want to think twice about acquiring that species. Again, this is one of those things that's easier said than done. Sometimes you want to work with a species and you buy it without thinking ahead. I have been burned there, too. But now I look at it from the angle of, "Okay, am I just throwing away money/putting this fish at risk by making an impulse buy?" If you're working with large and potentially aggressive cichlids, tank size is going to dictate in most cases how tolerable they'll be of tank mates. Actually, scratch that -- the same can be said for most cichlids. Example: I have some wild Andinoacara latifrons that were beating the crap out of each other in a 55 gallon growout tank. I shuffled some stock around and moved them to my 150 and they instantly calmed down and went about their business. It's not that they weren't compatible, but they needed their space.
Thanks man, really good info.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Sorryan starburst was a stunner. What fish do you want to keep more breidohri or blackbelts ?

If its breidohri then rehome the bbelt and try again.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Sorryan starburst was a stunner. What fish do you want to keep more breidohri or blackbelts ?

If its breidohri then rehome the bbelt and try again.

I'm giving up on Breidohri for now. My black belt is really a wild card, I kept him with small geophagus species that he left alone. He killed two others besides Starburst in his life (he's 1.5 years old) , he killed a lugubris pike (who was an *******, can't say I miss him that much) twice his size and a synspilum (who was the friendliest cichlid I had)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Anything hes sees as competition would likely be a target

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store