Hoplias Microlepis vs Malabaricus

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Is there a personality or behavior difference between the two? Anyone that's kept both please share your opinon.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I haven't read any case if microlepis being kept, nor have I been able to find one on Google. But I believe they stay smaller. That's the only thing I know of really. I'd like to know more of the species as well.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
I haven't read any case if microlepis being kept, nor have I been able to find one on Google. But I believe they stay smaller. That's the only thing I know of really. I'd like to know more of the species as well.
They've been sold and kept before, physically the difference between the two is the number of lateral line scales and dorsal fins with the microlepis having more of both. But I was looking for a personality difference, because if they're just like Mala's but with more scales I'll pass. I found a paper where biologists collected a number of specimens and compared both species and the microlepis were larger so idk if they stay smaller.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
They've been sold and kept before, physically the difference between the two is the number of lateral line scales and dorsal fins with the microlepis having more of both. But I was looking for a personality difference, because if they're just like Mala's but with more scales I'll pass. I found a paper where biologists collected a number of specimens and compared both species and the microlepis were larger so idk if they stay smaller.
Cool, thanks for the info, I believe I read somewhere they were more aggressive idk about activity, but even then, it could have been that specimen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store