This ray is too big for your tank

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I caught the quick mention of this on the news yesterday morning and they said it was a twenty six foot manta ray.The woman went on to say that unfortunately the ray was hurt.It looked a little bit more than 'hurt' to me.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Yea, sad to me they had to kill it.

Oddball, are fake scallops ray meat?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Take a Cookie cutter and punch holes in ray fins and they're called sea scallops.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Yea, sad to me they had to kill it.

Oddball, are fake scallops ray meat?
9 times out of 10 whenever you see jumbo sea scallops in a regular grocery store. They're called 'Plug Meat'. It's more commonly taken from shark but, it's also derived from cod cheeks, skates, rays, and monk fish. False scallops have been a major money-maker for over 40 years. The only upside is that people with shellfish allergies can eat these plugs with no ill effects other than paying premium $ for scallops and getting trash fish pieces instead.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep and quite a few seafood take out restaurants around here sell the stuff and pass it off as real scallop.

jag123

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 16, 2008
Ohio
Are manta rays also know as stingrays?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
They are rays yes. Note the gill slits on the underside of the body. They are Chondrichthyes same class as sharks skates rays etc. it was probably harpooned. They feed near the surface quite a bit and this would make an easy target.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store