Hmmmmm what to get, what to get?

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
So. Yet another suggestion thread, and for that I apologize. I can't seem to find a medium sized schooling fish that I like as of yet. It is a 90g fully planted tank stocked with 3 sen. Bichirs, a del, an Indian sun catfish, and a zebra knife. There are also some Cory cats in there. I have a sand substrate though before long there should be a carpet of dwarf hair grass which sadly eliminates geophagus. I plan on getting a couple more of the smaller bichir species but haven't been able to find them yet.

The background covered, my main question is what would you stock as a med length (4-6"), mid swimming schooling fish. I have considered rainbow fish but I am not too fond of the body shape. I appreciate any and all recommendations! You rock MFK!

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1430172926.355579.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
The tank is clearing btw, that was a fresh piece of wood but Purigen is the bomb and the tank is clearing up nicely. Will get a current pic here before too long.

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
I aways thought they would be boring, but after getting some I have been very impressed with how good my school of Giant Danio's look.

Other then that I liked my school of congo tetras when I had them, but you should get a male only school if you do that.

By the way your tank looks great.

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
Thanks for your kind words! I did try to take my time with this tank and I am very pleased with how it has turned out so far.

I had no clue that a danio could be so incredibly colorful, I will definitely look into them. I assume they are a pretty personable fish?
I have looked at congo tetras before but haven't really been all that impressed. That being said, I can't really have much of an opinion until I have kept them, huh?

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Why not try a school of aurubias barbs google them, very active and males willl get stunnibg in breeding colors also try odessa barbs

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I go through dithers like crazy never get attached to them and always bored of em. But my favirotes are regular old tiger barbs they school really well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
I don't intend for dithers necessarily, I want a cohesive tank. Besides, I don't have much need of dithers, the polys will get along just fine if everything stays fed well enough. The knife might get a tad aggressive but with as many plants as I have, there are going to be plenty of hidey holes for everyone to get away from each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store