Sponge Filter and Pump Size

atmetoyer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2010
Nebraska
I finally got another fish tank. I got a 40b this time and I want to use sponge filters. For fish I am going to have some kind of cichlids maybe 6 ebjd and hopefully get a pair. Or maybe a planted tank and a school of german blue rams.

What size pump and sponge filter should I get. I cannot find any info on pump and sponge size.

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
Get a sponge filter rated for a 75 gallon. Bigger is always better. Really you best option would be to get 2 40gal or 2 75gal rated sponge filters. Remember that eventually the sponges will need to be changed. If you 2 filters running you don't have to worry about cycling your tank again since your only using sponge filters. Change them at different times. As far as a pump I'm assuming you are talking about an air pump. Any air pump will work as long as bubbles are being created. Look for a pump that is rated for at least a 40gal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

atmetoyer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2010
Nebraska
Get a sponge filter rated for a 75 gallon. Bigger is always better. Really you best option would be to get 2 40gal or 2 75gal rated sponge filters. Remember that eventually the sponges will need to be changed. If you 2 filters running you don't have to worry about cycling your tank again since your only using sponge filters. Change them at different times. As far as a pump I'm assuming you are talking about an air pump. Any air pump will work as long as bubbles are being created. Look for a pump that is rated for at least a 40gal.

So if I get an air pump rated at 60 gallons and two 75 gallon sponge filters that should be more than enough right?

Thanks for the help.

jmolter86

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2015
bristol, pa
Personally would run 2 air pumps. You can do 1 pump with a t split. The only negative with 1 pump is if something happens to the pump you lose both filters.

atmetoyer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2010
Nebraska
Personally would run 2 air pumps. You can do 1 pump with a t split. The only negative with 1 pump is if something happens to the pump you lose both filters.

Yeah that makes sense. thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store