How many exodons in a 45 gallon tank?

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Hi everyone

Just curious as to how many exodons I can fit in a 45 gallon tank, its 48" wide, 18" tall and 12" deep (front to back)
Right now I have an eheim 2215 for it, but im planning on making a 20 gallon sump for this tank with a more powerful pump

just curious about numbers, im trying to figure out what i want to stock in this tank, curious about how many exodons i can have

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I saw people saying something like 40 in a 40 breeder, now, these fish are known for slowly picking eachother off, so I assume that this recommendation was to overcrowd and hopefully overwhelm the possibility to lose some, and in turn make it work, kind of like african cichlids. If that's is right, I'd say 45? Due to longer length. But then when full grown I see it looking extremely overcrowded if you were able to get them to that size. And I don't think there is many fish that seem to put up with them either (we'll be able to deal with them and their aggression). A quick search will help you with that though. I could be wrong on what I said though so don't quote me on anything lol

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Thanks Moe,

To be honestg im looking to set up an interesting tank that i can just sit back and wathc. It may be that a tank with a variety of species interacting is what i want, but ill do some more reading, i have been focusing on either exodons or puffer fish(south american, or dwarfs), all three of these species, from what ive read,should be in a species specific tank

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Welcome to MFK simko.
Tank volume is not the issue, filtration is. Filter are the biggest misconception in the hobby in my opinion. Most of us new hobbyist learn from Petco or local fish stores and they sell us a 50gl filter for a 50gl tank. They just recommended a filter that is 50/50 for that tank size. I have a 50gl corner tank with a Rena X3 filter that is rated for 150gls. Bbf(beneficial bacteria) colonizes on media in the filters and with a big canister like I have, my bioload can handle the tons of fish I own. The key is to over filter.

So, let me recommend something for you and you can play with the idea in your 45gl.

RenaX3 with the spraybar (spraybar reduces the hurricane in the tank or you can DIY a spraybar) and add a Pothos house plant to the top. This plant is very very useful.
or
2 AC70's and Pothos
or AC110 and pothos (aC is AquaClear filters)
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/pothos/pothos-plant-care.htm

With that said, I would do 40-80 exodons with this setup.

If you knew all this, sorry I was trying to help lol.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
40-80?! Lol you can't be serious. Am I the only one that's seen adult exodons? No way would I stuff 40 of them in a 45 gallon aquarium. I feel like most of the water volume would he displaced by them haha.

Try 20.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Hi everyone, thnaks for the replies

I know that filtration is critical. I actually have a 20 gallon long thank that I was thinking of making into a sump filter for the 45. I still have to draw up a design but I was hoping that this tank along with a nice mag pump would provide enough filter for a decent shoal of exodons… or whatever fish I end up choosing to stock in my tank.

Hi everyone, thnaks for the replies

I know that filtration is critical. I actually have a 20 gallon long thank that I was thinking of making into a sump filter for the 45. I still have to draw up a design but I was hoping that this tank along with a nice mag pump would provide enough filter for a decent shoal of exodons… or whatever fish I end up choosing to stock in my tank.

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Sorry i cant edit my post, i also want to have this tank planted with hornwort, jungle val, anubias nana and i would love to have some pothos and other plants growing semi submerged either out of my filter refugium or make a hang on the side planter or something

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
40-80?! Lol you can't be serious. Am I the only one that's seen adult exodons? No way would I stuff 40 of them in a 45 gallon aquarium. I feel like most of the water volume would he displaced by them haha.

Try 20.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yep, 40-80 and yes I have seen adult 4-5" Exodons. I actually passed up on a large adult school since I went with my Moray Eels. 90% of people will not start with Adult Exos so 40-80 1-2" Exos is fine in a 45gl.

Sorry i cant edit my post, i also want to have this tank planted with hornwort, jungle val, anubias nana and i would love to have some pothos and other plants growing semi submerged either out of my filter refugium or make a hang on the side planter or something
If you are planning a planted tank, this changes things a bit. Don't think pothos and a planted tank would work since Pothos suck up so much.
Going this route, I would do 15-25 pcs with lower filtration gph since the power could disrupt the substrate.
If going LowTech (non co2 injection), I highly recommend putting money into good soil (I like ADA amazonia) and I do root tabs.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I have kept exodons a few times in the past do not put 40-80 exos in a 45 gallon that's stupid and ridiculous!..... At adult size I recommend 1.5 -2 gallons per fish ....I would start with 30-35 exos

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
My brother has 30 in his 40 gallon with lots of plants and driftwood. Already looks crowded to me in my opinion. They're 3-4".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store