How Often(Red Severum)

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
I have a 5 inch female Red Severum and a 7 inch male Red Spot Severum that have just laid eggs.Unfortunatly I have 2 Bristle nose Plecos and a 3 inch veil tail Oscar in this 90 gallon tank with them.Also I have no pre filter sponges on my 2 AC 110 and FX 5 that filter this tank.I do intend on re locating the Plecos and Oscar very soon.Just haven't had time.Probably by next week the Severums will have the tank to themselves.Im sure the eggs or fry will be eaten by then.Question is how often will they breed?Once a month?Every other month?Any other information on these Severums will be appreciated.Thanks.

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I could put my last breeding pair on a schedule. I could get a clutch every 4-6 weeks by upping the volume of my regular water changes every 4th week. I had better egg production and fry survival if I gave them 2-3 months between clutches though (but sometimes they couldn't wait, so I put in dividers and dropped the temp to lower the chance they would for the off months).

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
Thanks. Do they breed true?Will the fry be Red?Are they good parents?Are they like other Cichlids and it takes a few times breeding until they get it right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store