filtration help

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
I'm aware of all the pros of a sump and as much as it would be nice, does anyone here go sump less on sw? Im wondering if a hob skimmer, a high gph closed loop and enough live rock would do the trick?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I know alot of guys do on nano tanks. I dont see why it couldn't work on a large scale provided that you are ok with sarificing room in the display for equipment

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
I figured thats what it would come down is either look at the stuff or attempt to drill for an overflow

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I did two HOB on my first salt tank. One was mechanical and the other had a u.v built in. I had an intank skimmer and roughly 40 lbs of live rock on a 36. I liked the ability to use the compartment to hold phosphate reducers and some other things.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
i thought about that too, i just know that live rock is supposed to be the best filtration(?) and i know a skimmer is is a given but I'm just torn, not just about the overflow but also live rock, i read to keep it not in the display but yet not in the sump, so where is truly the ideal place for that rock? In the tank with a closed loop and high flow over said rocks, or in a sump with a high turnover rate over the rock, or.......?

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
I don't know where you read that, but most people use rocks in their displays and aquascape them into pleasing structures. The rock also gives fish a place to hide. Going sumpless and using hang on equipment in a smaller tank is fine. The problem with doing that on a larger tank is after a certain size, a hang on equipment doesn't work as well as comparable in-sump equipment does. A protein skimmer is a good example of that.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
tbh I can't remember where I read it, but about 4 years ago I spent a god six months reading articles, forums, etc learning about salt water so it could have been anywhere. I just vaguely remember that removing live rock from the display (not all, but certainly not like a reef) would give more room for the fish to move around, and keeping live rock in the sump would trap detritus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store