Armatus loves AHI TUNA!

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
My Armatus was not feeling well a few months ago and after researching his main diet of tilapia fillets farm raised in China i could not believe how bad that fish is for our pet fish.

I changed to fresh AHI stuffed with hikari pellets/dried earthworms/ soaked in vita-chem.

He absolutely loves the Red Fresh Ahi Tuna so much that today for the first time in his life he snatched his dinner after it sunk to the bottom.

I still feed whole flash frozen fish like sardines, mackerel etc but this Ahi is amazing!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I used to give my big guy tilapia and he chomped it down with gusto.So what have you found out about the stuff?

toolsforfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2014
Dark Side of the Moon
Ya what's so had in it. I'm just curious I totally believe you thou! It would make sense farm raised fish arnt healthy to some degree. What's your thoughts on feeding it to datnoids!? I have 4 baby IT that are an inch but I will consider tuna before the Talpia once they get big enough. I have always used Talpia because it's so cheap!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Have you ever tried pellet stuffed shrimp for your dats?

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I read many articles on this and mostly what I got out of it was 80% of Tilapia comes these areas and the processing plants are beautiful. But the fish conditions are not good and the massive tilapia, Swai etc farms are next to pig/chicken farms. So there is run off of pesticides, scraps, feces. some of the lesser farms save money and let the fish eat the waste from the surrounding farms. Then they just use huge amounts of antibiotics to kill disease. They also use pesticides in the water to fight off certain sea lice in the area.
Some of the articles could be exaggerating of course I am aware of that. I am sure farm raised in strict conditions would be totally different. But I also started thinking that salt water fish is the best food for our predators.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
tuna is worse for the fish then tilapia...do some more research
Sheesh we just can't seem to win here.
Well I will research that for sure. I was thinking wild fresh AHI TUNA would be a good food source. I could be wrong. Do you know the reason and what do you recommend feeding an Armatus?

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
AHI TUNA has high amounts of mercury. Maybe I should just feed those HIKARI SILVER SIDES in the frozen section of the LFS? I just wish they made them bigger.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
tuna contains thiaminase witch breaks down vitamin b.. fish that eat too much thiaminase end up with vitamin b deficiency which is real bad for them.. and tuna is more fatty which is terrible for them.. tilapia farms sound disgusting and i would never eat tilapia myself...i guess the best thing is to vary their diet so they don't get too much of any one thing .. I'm sure tuna is ok if its noir making up the bulk of their diet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store