Siesta period?

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
I have done a bit of research about having a siesta period where the lights turn off for a bit in the middle of the photoperiod to encourage better growth. Nothing I have read gives me a solid timetable for it though. Currently I have it set for just an hour off.

What are your experiences with this as well as your recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Some people do it, and some people don't; Personally I never did it, but here's my lighting schedule...

48" T5HO quad 4x54w - Bulb selection is front front to back, first bulb 6500k day bulb, 2nd bulb 12,000k bright white actinic 460nm, 3rd bulb wavepoint ultra growth wave, and 4th bulb 6000k bulb.

8am the 1 & 2 bulbs come on, 10am 3 & 4 bulb come on, 2pm 1 & 2 shut off, and 4pm 3 &4 shut off. What this does is it gives me a 4 hour light burst during midday, the reason is quite simple.... Plants have 2 chlorophyll stages, chlorophyll A and chlorophyll B, each stage peaks at different wavelengths so by going with the mentioned bulbs it allows me to target the peaks for both chlorophyll stages. Here's an image showing the peaks...

chlorophyllspectrums.png

Once you understand the peaks of the chlorophyll you can target them to get healthier, more lush plants... Here's a pic of the ultra growth wave bulb wavelengths...

ultra_growth_wave.jpg

When you compare the ultra growth wave peaks, to that of the chlorophyll stage peaks this gives you better understanding of planted aquarium light wavelengths and how to target them.

chlorophyllspectrums.png

ultra_growth_wave.jpg

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I've been turning my lights off for 1-2 h for over 20 years, ever since I read it in Mergus Aquarium Atlas.
I like to believe that it helps against excessive algae growth.

John7429

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
Fullerton, CA
I have done a bit of research about having a siesta period where the lights turn off for a bit in the middle of the photoperiod to encourage better growth. Nothing I have read gives me a solid timetable for it though. Currently I have it set for just an hour off.

What are your experiences with this as well as your recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

No need. No tangible benefit. Just something "cool" to try.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ I honestly wouldn't say its just something "cool to try" since from my own personal experience, i went from battling hair algae among others like no tmr in my shirmp tank that is 50G tank with 4 T5 HO bulbs running at 8K a piece... Finally i decided to start turning off the lights for 2 hours in the middle of an 8 hour photo period and saw the algae start disappearing to the point it only grows on the glass now and a little on the driftwood (but not more hair algae etc)...

Same went for my 60G, was going through battling algae like crazy and couldn't keep it under control, then finally, changed up my lighting schedule a bit, and its now coming under control with similar light schedule and 2 hour break in between...

All in all i would say what i do is probably "similar" (and i use the term loosely here) to Unrated with him having a siesta period using 2 bulbs instead of 4, except my tank pretty much has no light except for any ambient light in the room, while his just changes the light wave spectrum...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store