How to make big driftwood safe?

jandb

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
Hello, I gathered some large pieces of driftwood from a local creek. I power washed them but they are way to big to boil. How do I make them safe and k ow when they are safe? Thanks. image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
should not be a problem. I would put in as are. cleaning them was the only big part.

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
should not be a problem. I would put in as are. cleaning them was the only big part.
+1 I washed my big centerpiece off and stuck it straight in. No problems, though you may find a few bugs crawling in your water the next day!

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
fish food!! you will probably get some fungus and perhaps some tannin's at first, neither hurt your fish, it all goes away after a few weeks, if you have a pleco he will love the new wood.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
that is up to you,. will not hurt any thing. but as it breaks down will make a mess. but if you vacuum well every week at water changes not that big of an issue.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I brine mine in the bath tub for a few days... Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Sonofthunder

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
Alaska
If it's a new tank, just put the wood in before you get fish and let it soak for a week or so while your filter runs. I figure the wood probably helps the beneficial bacteria to accumulate. Then do a water change right before you add fish, if the water has gotten darker than you like it. If the wood is not yet bleached white from the sun, then chances are it will darken your water a bit at first. But this should dissipate with time.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
You will not get rid of pathogens or parasites by simply putting it into your tank...
This has nothing to do with tannins, which will leach out of our tank for months to come, depending on the type of tree and thickness of the wood.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I brine mine in the bath tub for a few days... Better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
What do you mean by "brine?" Assuming a typo. I'm about to go DW hunting this weekend and would love some tips on cleaning.

Really not interested in exposing my stock to any sort of parasites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store