new in polypterus' care

m46nifico

Feeder Fish
May 1, 2015
Indonesia
hi guys, i'm kinda new in polypterus care, currently i only have 1 endlicheri, live in 30x15x20 cm tank, with 3-5mm zeolite rubbles as the tank floor... i used to fed it with 1-2.5cm small fishes, and that endlicheri eats about 3 or 4 fishes everyday, i've been keeping that endlicheri for about 4 months, the first 3 months it just keep growing, but at the 4th month it stop growing and currently reaches only 15cm, is that normal...? also just today, s/he (idk if my endlicheri is a male or female) just eat a 5cm elongated mbuna, and start to roam the whole tank endlessly, i'm afraid that s/he might jump out of the tank, so i closed the tank... what should i do...? it seems that my endlicheri just can't stop roaming the whole tank and freaking out other fishes... -thanx in advance...

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
well for one I'm going to say the tank is to small for it, but that's just me others will disagree with me. Whats your water change schedule look like? small tanks and fish capable of growing large and fast only work if you change the water frequently lol. Switch up his diet as well, he will need to be given prepared food moreso than live. I'm not sure what you have available over there but tilapia and salmon are what I feed to my polys, along with pellets and silversides. he's about 6 inches by my calculations, he should continue to grow fast until around 8-9 inches, especially if you get him a bigger tank.

Reactions: DannielR

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Endli cappable to reach over 24 inches full growth, and the first 12 months of it life it can reach over 1 foot long, your tank way too small for it.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Endli cappable to reach over 24 inches full growth, and the first 12 months of it life it can reach over 1 foot long, your tank way too small for it.
Agreed, I have two in my 250 gallon, if OP's bichir wasn't being deprived of space it should be bigger than that.

Mine were at 8" after 4 months.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I'm going to hope you meant inches or at least something went wrong with your measurements because if not then with those numbers your fish is in a 2.5g aquarium. That is only one of many problems for why your fish isn't growing.

m46nifico

Feeder Fish
May 1, 2015
Indonesia
i used to change the water once in a week, though i'm still not sure if that a correct schedule for water change... i did planned to build an outdoor pond, but seems it will start later on, how big the pond that i have to build to keep my endlicheri...? i also planned to add 2-3 senegalus tooand put it together with my endlicheri, will that be a problem...? -thanx in advance...

m46nifico

Feeder Fish
May 1, 2015
Indonesia
hy guys, i'm back...
pond is finished 2 weeks ago, with 32 hour work time and low budget... xD
able to keep about 750 gal of water (LxWxH: 330x220x40 cm)...

i had moved 2 endlicheri there, but it seems they having hard time to catch their prey, is the pond too big...?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store