l204 breeding info

bjorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
new zealand
flash pleco l204 , im needing some info on how to breed these guys i got a large tank with lots of flow and wood with bamboo caves anymore ideas/suggestions would be cool

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
Have you sexed them. Barbie says the males have thornier petcoral fins and a crook in the boney part.

They are very territorial... and like was said before the people who have bred them aren't really sharing the secrets.

I would suggest a week or two of fasting then a week of a higher protien diet and rapid water change including temp/ pH/ dh.... I use a frozen gallon of water in the store. It's been R/O'd and drops the temp quick.

bjorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
new zealand
sweet im getting 5 ,2females 2males and 1 unknown, and i alredy have one that might be a male.

im gona keep two males would rather one but just incase one dies lol

tanks a 4foot so a good size for breeding them, there shouldnt be to much problems with agression in that space

drifwood and 4 bamboo caves, with sand bottom

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
You might want to try with one of the spawning caves. From what I've heard the male will keep a domain and then eventually allow a female to come in... when she does he's going to trap her in there and beat the living crap out of her until she lays the eggs. After that he boots her butt out. like other panaque the males may decide to have more then one home in a single area and breed with multiple females.

bjorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
new zealand
how should i set up the tank?

ive got a sand bottom ,wood and bamboo caves, good flow

should i add any plants of anysort? to make it more natural for them or what
cant find much on there natural habitat

Waldo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
I wouldn't do plants. They are just going to get knocked around and busted up. Sounds like you've got everything going fine. Next step would be to fast them them protien spike there diet and do a massive water change.

COL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2006
San Diego
I would avise in getting a least a bit of greenery in the tank...all my loricariid breeders are housed with anubias, moss, and water sprite; adds a natural and asthetically pleasing element to the tank, and, per the ceratopsis, levels nutrients and shades the substrate, giving the plecs the reassurance needed to spawn.

bjorn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
new zealand
o real? sweet

yea i thort if i get the tank a close as possible to there natural enviroment id have a better chance of spawning them lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store