Droopy eye on silvers information gathering thread.

rodclement

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2006
USA
OK, so it feels like every thread about silvers ends up having something to do with droopy eyes...I tought we could start talking about specific set-ups that generate droop eye fish, or not.

For example, it seems to be straight forward that if you keep a silver in a pond or non-glass container, it's eyes will be normal, be it for whatever reason, but if you take a silver from the same source and put in a glass tank, droop eye will occur...

I have silvers in both settings and have to say that the above holds true for me, the ones in glass tanks have developed the crazy eye, the ones in the rubbermaid container have not. They have all been fed the same way, and water quality is the same.

Generally speaking the ones in the containers are in larger water volumes, so maybe their overall health may be better due to the increased space (?).

The ones in glass tanks have the folowing options offered as causes, damage due to hitting the lid all the time, overhead intense lighting, little exercise and fatty diets, too much movement in the side of the tank (therefore causing the fish to focus downward (?)), little surface agitation, etc.

Anyone care to elaborate or add to any of the perceived causes?

I am going to offer the following, I will take two healthy fish with no "crazy eye", and put one in each setting and let them grow out and observe, also will take a normal fish from a container and put it into a glass tank to see if the deformity develops.

Now I never heard of an arowana recovering from droopy eye other then by surgery, can anyone report on that? Has anyone personally achieved that? Not heard of, but done it him/herself?

Lastly, no experiment can be conducted alone, anyone else interested in trying? It would be awesome to have another control group, and the only thing we have to do is what we done anyway, care for our fish.

Feedback? Thanks! Rod

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
people have reported that covering the tank on every ide ( like your containers in practical terms ) have made some aro's DE revert..never saw, ith though...

G luck. keep us posted, please

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Mike is just being Mike....ignore him

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
DeLgAdO;771180; said:
you know exactly why i said that......

cmon youve been in the heat of the drop eye debates.
i know, i know, but let newbies go throu it themselves. he is learning.

ok ok ill stop derailing before oddball gives me an infraction....

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Well here are the stats for my 15-16" silver aro that has not developed drop eye. Owned since Feb 11th 2006 at 3.5". Spent 6 months in 55 gallon tank with single 40 watt lamp and grew to 7-8". Spent the next 6 months in a 75g tank with 2 40 watt lamps and grew to 14". Has spent the last 6-7 weeks in a 120 gallon with 260 watts of light and now is between 15 -16". So my silver does contradict your first couple of sitsuations.

If the drop eye is do to genetics, well then this is all for not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store