Takmates for rays

African_Fever

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
Canada
I'm looking to finally add some tankmates in with my rays, but obiviously the rays are number one. There seems to be so many different options out there, but I'm looking for first hand experience and how you felt they affected the rays.

I currently have two 6" Peruvian motoros, but will be getting more in the future. They're in a 55 for now, until the DIY 265 is done in a couple of weeks (72x24x22). I love the way Bala sharks look with the rays, but wouldn't mind something similar in a more predatory fish, so I've really been considering Acestro's (which I can order with the rays, so it would be about 15-20 of them). Other options I've been considering are eartheaters, but since I've kept Africans the last 15 or so years, I really have no idea what's out there or who would work at all. And I've also been thinking about M. tigrinus as well, since I'll probably be ordering some of them in too (mostly for sale, but would like to keep some for myself). Arrowana's have even been thought about as well, but I'm not overly excited about spending $1000 on a chili red or other Asian (they're all available here, a LFS usually has at least a half dozen in stock, ranging from $300 for RTG [I think] to $30000 for a full grown chili red).

If you've got any experience with these fish and rays, I'd love to hear about pros and cons, and if you've got any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them as well! I plan on building an 8' tank once the 6' tank is done, probably somewhere around 8x3x2 or 8x4x2, so size shouldn't really be an issue for the larger catfish.

Thanks in advance!

hollywood69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2006
virginia
from my experience i would just stay a species tank, rays only! its a lot easier to feed and monitor feeding. if you must, i suggest a arowana or gar. i had a gar for 10 years and 6 years with my rays, until i noticed he pecked at one of the rays, so i bounced his ass right of of my tank! gars have teeth. right now i have 1 geophagus with my 2 rays, i had 3, but he kick their ass! they died.

flyingsaucer owner

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2005
England
I've tried all kinds of tankmates & found arowanas, datnoids & large doradid cats to be the best.
They don't bother with the rays & more importantly the rays don't bother/kill them :)
Eartheaters are great when the rays are small but motoro will end up eating them as they grow.
If you can get RTG arows for $300 I'd go for one :headbang2

knight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
Philippines
Good tankmates for rays are the following (Not in order)

Arowana (except jardini)
Datnoids (ST,IT)
Bichirs (P. endlicheri endlicheri)
Clown Loaches (but not to small for you know what will happen)
etc.....

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
arow especially if you can get rtg datnoids any species gars clown loaches only if they are large rays grow a lot faster and will most likely eat them I've seen tigrinus with them I have a strigata pike in with my motoros now

azin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
migrating
From my experience avoid all bottom dwellers, rays will push them around or they will attack small rays. Anyway, it will give the rays plenty of room.

Rtg can be aggressive.

knight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
Philippines
azin;792454; said:
From my experience avoid all bottom dwellers, rays will push them around or they will attack small rays. Anyway, it will give the rays plenty of room.

Rtg can be aggressive.
i disagree....My Male motoro goes very well with other bottom dweller fishes such as P. endlicheri endlicheri and also my 5inches clown loach :). you just have to feed them right in order not to kill one another.

Also i've seen many hobbisyt has an RTG and a motoro with no problem at all.

Maybe if you have LESS swimming space :p

azin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
migrating
knight;793958; said:
i disagree....My Male motoro goes very well with other bottom dweller fishes such as P. endlicheri endlicheri and also my 5inches clown loach :). you just have to feed them right in order not to kill one another.

Also i've seen many hobbisyt has an RTG and a motoro with no problem at all.

Maybe if you have LESS swimming space :p
I actually prefer just rays in one tank if I am going to breed them and I had bred them. You can keep whatever you want in your tank, I don't give a ......

cindy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2007
Florissant Mo.
I have three leaf fish and some assorted gouramis and my ray is about 12" and he leaves them all alone. But i wonder if he needs one more ray so he is not alone.
should it be male or female?

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
i have my baby ray with a big fire eel and arowana, some plecos and a datnoid and 2 bichirs. They do really well together. especially the eel and the ray seem to like eachother.

rays are solitairy fish but do well in groups. its up to you. do you have a male or female? you can start breeding if you buy the opposite sex :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store