Dat size

Vince

Most Wanted
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2005
Illegal
www.wofc.org
I've read somewhere that Thailand has some 24 inchers that they do not allow to be exported/imported. I'm not sure if that is the max size. One "full size" guesstimate would be a 7'x30"x30" tank.

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Yeap,
the articles about dats all suggest sizes up to 30 inches, generally though, you can't raise one to more than 16 inches, regardless of how big a tank you give them.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
truman said:
Yeap,
the articles about dats all suggest sizes up to 30 inches, generally though, you can't raise one to more than 16 inches, regardless of how big a tank you give them.

Yep another proof that fish in the wild grow bigger than they would ever in home aquaria. I was challenged on this assumption a few months ago.

arapaimag

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
Quaoar
I have a friend who has a datnoid a little over 20inches. He has it in a 120 gallon tank. It really needs a bigger one now. His secret is feeding it lots of dew worms and minnows. He changes the water (50%) weekly

arapaimag

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
DeLgAdO said:
actually redtail some fish do grow bigger in the home aquaium, because of cleaner water and more nutritious foods.
Agreed. small to med size fish get big in aquariums. Im really talking about the monsters here. I dont quite agree on cleaner water though..

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
lol
a 30 inch dat, has anyone seen the pic of that? someone here has a gallery pic of one...

its not really a question of how good the conditions are so much so as the size of aquria and evental length of time we raise them for.

I doubt anyone has managed raising the mekong giant cat or arapaima to full size in a pond either, its just too large a size that a confined space would offer any fish the amount of swimspace to stretch out and becom full size.

Besides, dat's live in the mekong and its tributaries etc... water isn't perfect there... yet they get to 30 inches? :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store