Are Indo Tiger dats not....

BostonPatriot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2005
boston
as desirable as other dats? I see alot of posts about "thin bar" and "wide bar" dats. Are the Indo Tiger dats like what the red oscar is to the oscar world? I am just curious because I am new to keeping dats and don't really know what people look for in judging a dat. Do Indos look as good as the others when they get larger? Also what would a 8"-10" indo sell for?
I think they are a great fish looks and personality wise. They are just so rare around this area that local pet shops don't seem to know that much about them.

cuban jey

"tha movement you bastards"
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2005
Tampa Bay
from what ive seen indos are the more common sp. of dats and i heard they lose their gold color as they get older im guessing they get more "dirty" looking and widebars stay having bright colors throughout their whole life i dont know much about thinbars and never seen a pic of a adult one but ive seen a huge indo once in person and it was dirty/muddy looking but every dat ive had are always constantly changing colors im thinking it has to do with moods or feelings? hopefully someone with more knowledge will help us out some more bro cause i too have a indo dat hes about 3-4in. now growing out in a 55 with a jardini and hes as gold as ever hes even bossing around my jardini wich is twice his size :grinyes:

Steve_89

NISMO
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
?
Indos generally do not show the nice stable gold coloration of the wide bar.

I beleive wide bars are also rarer.

I love my big indo though, still has a great personality and occasionally shows nice golds.

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
At large sizes, I think the wide bar dats have an overall more appealing body shape and they are more consistent with their coloring. That being said, I have seen some pics here of a guy that had a bunch of large dats, including some large indos, and his indos were still bright and colorful. I'll see if I can find the pics.

shoefreak03

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
in my own little world
i believe wide bars are more desirable because they are rarer hence the greater in price than indo. But this shouldn't be the case since i've heard that thin bars are even rarer than wide bars but still less than the price of a wide bar?

i think it is all supply and demand. since so many people are looking for widebars, price goes up especailly if people are willing to pay for them. last year, i bought 4-5inch wide bars for $40-60, now its double that price.

to me, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i have one that is broker bar (symetrical), dont know or sure if it is a wide bar/indo, but still has great personalty as the rest of my dats.

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Hi,
well from what i see, there is a higher chance of obtaining a nice squarish dat body shape when u select a wide bar dat when compared with the indo tiger, and also against the thin barred variety.

This observation might also be my ignorance.

Rgrds
Trum

gold ocean aqua

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
SIN
Indon tiger don't do really as well as the siamese tiger, that what i always see and observe.

Regards

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
thin bars are readilly available in the UK at the moemnt more so than indo's. i have had indo's with really good colour but i still say wide bars are the best.
i pick up a 10''er tomorrow.

here is a pic the seller sent me today.
dixon

tank 035.JPG

BostonPatriot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2005
boston
DiXoN said:
thin bars are readilly available in the UK at the moemnt more so than indo's. i have had indo's with really good colour but i still say wide bars are the best.
i pick up a 10''er tomorrow.

here is a pic the seller sent me today.
dixon

That's an indo? That is a great looking fish. I love the big stripe in the middle.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
how much is a 10incher in the uk?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store