Aragonite VS Crushed Coral !!

Lord Gaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Australia
:eek:

Okay, in your opinion, which one is preferable for a SW set up? Aragonite looks really nice and it will naturally raise the PH of a SW, so I prefer Aragonite. But one of the guys at my LFS says crushed coral is the go, and I've also seen many other salt water setups using crushed coral. So, which one do you prefer?

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
aragonite cause if you use CC you take away potential growth on reefs.

VLDesign

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2007
IL
Save your money and get white play sand or Quickrete white sand from the hardware store. Argonite sand cannot buffer the PH unless the PH falls below the level required to disolve the sand which by that time would be too late for your critters anyways.

This is just what I have been reading lately.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
VLDesign;794012; said:
Save your money and get white play sand or Quickrete white sand from the hardware store. Argonite sand cannot buffer the PH unless the PH falls below the level required to disolve the sand which by that time would be too late for your critters anyways.

This is just what I have been reading lately.

very interesting !!!!!!!!! thanks :popcorn: :popcorn:

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I like my aragonite substrate. Not too fine so it doesn't get stirred up as easily, and not to coarse to trap junk.

Lord Gaz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Australia
That's interesting. Never heard of anyone ever mentioning it, as far as I know. How is that compared to Aragonite in pricing?

KenyanSandBoa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
Massachusetts
ewurm;794942; said:
I like my aragonite substrate. Not too fine so it doesn't get stirred up as easily, and not to coarse to trap junk.
:iagree:

Aragonite is the way to go if you do a reef, fish only, or FOWLR. If you are going to do predatory saltwater your talking HUGE bio loads from big guys like eels, groupers, and triggers. It's much easier to vacuum the surface of the sand to remove anything uneaten versus trying to dig it out of crushed coral.

If you go reef or FOWLR, the sand is even more critical because then you are competing with the phosphates and other elements being released into the water when you are trying to grow inverts. When I first started in SW I had a MAJOR takeover of hair algae that cleared my tank of all coraline...a Siganus doliatus took care of that for me. :D

Brenden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2006
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
I personally have never been a big fan of Crushed Coral, however I have never used it either. I always use Aragonite because I personally love the look, its a very fine sand, but at the same time not fine enough to casue a sand tornado in my tank, and allows me to keep Sharks and or Rays without me having to worry about them scratching their bellies and facing the chances of possible stress and or infections.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Crushed coral sucks, too much detritus trapped in it. Aragonite much better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store