Multiple Filter Configurations

shovelnose

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Central Jersey
www.5acrossinc.com
Well it seems that one filter is never enough. What does everyone use to keep that water clean? How many and what kind?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
See other posts, I am old fashioned, lotsa plants, 1/2 tank with undergravel and at least2 1/2" fine gravel-coarse sand, good lighting. overside filter. Harvest excess plants often to remove nitrogen products. Always worked for me and is cheap.

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
I usually have a mechanical filter ( several in most case) and a bio filter ( wet dry )
what works for me is a wet dry backed up by several canister filters.

On smallish tanks, a canister filter with HOBs are my weapons of choice.

WckedMidas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
BODYMORE MD
on my 150 with a huge bioload. Im getting away with a ac500 runing two sponges inside it. a ping 330 with biowheels. and im running two powerheads with a sponge attached to each one. my 65 gal has a magnum 350 on it and a aqua clear powerhead with quick filter attachement i took the filter material out of it and wraped filter floss around the outside of it. my 20 gal with fh fry i got a mag 220 on it. my 75 i got mag 350 with biowheels. my 5 gal got the factory quiped biowhell filtert that comes with eclipse. but i took the cartridge out of it and stuc the sponge from a ac200 in it.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
water changes are your friend

slapper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Mpls MN
My filter is home made.From the overflow in the tank the water is gravity fed out to the garage where it first goes through 2 9x17 60 micron filter bags. It then trickles over about 10 gallons of bioballs into a 60 gallon sump which I keep fish in. From the sump I have 2 800 gph pumps push water through 30 micron cartrige filters back to the tank.I also have a 350 gph powerhead in the sump that pumps water through a 20 micron filter, then a carbon filter and back to the sump.

Anythingfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2005
Washington
slapper said:
My filter is home made.From the overflow in the tank the water is gravity fed out to the garage where it first goes through 2 9x17 60 micron filter bags. It then trickles over about 10 gallons of bioballs into a 60 gallon sump which I keep fish in. From the sump I have 2 800 gph pumps push water through 30 micron cartrige filters back to the tank.I also have a 350 gph powerhead in the sump that pumps water through a 20 micron filter, then a carbon filter and back to the sump.
This filter system sounds like it gets the job done. How large is the aquarium which it supports? How many fish of what size or roughly what is their combined weight? Feeding; what kind of food, what quantity and what frequency are the fish fed? Water changes; how frequently and what amount? How is your water testing out as to: PH, Ammonia and Nitrates?

shovelnose

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Central Jersey
www.5acrossinc.com
Anythingfish said:
This filter system sounds like it gets the job done. How large is the aquarium which it supports? How many fish of what size or roughly what is their combined weight? Feeding; what kind of food, what quantity and what frequency are the fish fed? Water changes; how frequently and what amount? How is your water testing out as to: PH, Ammonia and Nitrates?
Yeah what he said... and isn't it cold in your garage?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store