aragonite ok for freshwater tank?

fishingaddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
houston, texas
i recently bought a used tank and the guy included some sand in buckets. he mentioned it being live and that he had it in the buckets for a while and was tryin to get rid of it. the sand seem to be like the aragonite substrate, would it be ok to put in as a substrate for a freshwater set up?

thanks

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
Aragonite will raise your ph. If it has been in buckets for awhile, it's probably not "live sand" any longer. :grinno: Probably has a lot of die off in it, as well as some salt residue. Not a good idea IMO to use it for freshwater.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Aragonite sand would be ideal for rift lake cichlids. If it's sugar sand, tanganyikan goby cichlids would love it. Just be sure to thoroughly wash out the sand before using it to remove all the old detritus from the previous set up.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
I use the stuff in my 120 tang peacock tank, they love it... It is heavier than regular sand and my vac does not pick as much up as sand. It looks great and surprisingly really natural looking... I think better than white or brown sand looks...

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I think it would be good for African Cichlids if that's what your planning on.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
fishingaddict;807562; said:
yea it took me forever to clean.. guess it had lotta crap in it from the previous set up.
Yep, I'm sure it did. You are a better man than me! I would just have thrown it out. Anyway, good luck with the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store