Growth Rate Comparison

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
I keep hearing "they grow slow" and "real,real, slow" with the occasional "____ to ____ a month or so" but I'm wondering what their growth rate can be compared to that I might be familiar with through past experiance?A JD? a GT?

I'm really leaning toward getting myself one of those NGT's and its gonna be put in with some cichlids (a JD and GT among them) the biggest fish in the tank by about .5" but what Im wondering is if he will be able to keep up with any of the other cichlids growth rate or if he is going to wind up a tiny loner in about a year while the other fish are pushing adult size?

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
Definitely a slower growth rate than cichlids. I don't know why people keep trying to mix dats with cichlids anyway.

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
so slower than even a JD?slower than my BGK or my TT eel?

As for your statement I can only speak for myself,and my reasoning behind wanting an NGT with my cichlids is based on a few things such as:

Ive always wanted one

I only want one

I have no desire to keep one by itself

I have a 220 on the way and it will be stocked with mostly mild mannered inhabitants (and yes,a one or two "butthead" cichlids with tempers) and a huge difference in growth rate would be IMO the only thing to prevent said setup from working out.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
my pair of baby indos grew about 2" since i got them, n its been about 2 months. i got them at .5" so there around 2.5 including tail but prolly 2" of body. still to small to be put with anything cuz there the size of a feeder. its such a slow growth that i dont even notice growth. i jus keep thinking back when i got them then say to myself "yah, they grew"

grmanrocks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Fishville
my indo is actually growing fast, i got it about a month ago, at the size of a dime and its now pushing 2"s. i think alot has to do with the ammount and quality of food they r offered, however, my NGT is soooooo slow, and i dont remmeber exactly how big he was when i got him so i have no way to base growth, but id say he hasnt put on more than 3 inches in 6 months......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store