MFK Member
Jul 11, 2005
Spokane WA
you talking about Hydrolicus scomberoides... never heard of a ST Baracuda

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
No sabertooth barracuda even in salt water. sabertooth characin or payara is as Waldo says the H. scomberoides, it gets large, needs pristine water, and is reputedly very hard to keep. You see them for sale fairly often. Is this what you means? if so good luck.

H. scomb.JPG

Payara.jpg

PhullTank57

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2005
The Next Level
www.youtube.com
I have kept "sabre tooth barracudas" H. scrombroides (aka: 'payara') as well as Rhapioiodon vulpinnus before in the past. They are extremely delicate sensative fish. Be sure your water conditions is in tip top shape at all times, high oxygen/aeration in your tank, and a strong fast current flow (using powerheads)... THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST!! :grinyes:

These fish stress very easy... so I suggest you keep them alone w/ no tankmates at first. They also have extremely fast metabolism, so you want to make sure they are eating good and well at first. Getting them acclimated and eating healthy is very important. Feed first with live foods... (feeder fish, earthworms, etc.). After they become stable eaters, try offering other foods (non live) as well. GL! ;)

I had mine taking various foods... live rosy reds, raw shrimp, frozen (thawed) fish, earthworms, freeze dried krill, and even lrg. floating pellets (soaked in vita-chem). :) see pics below w/ tankmates and feeding on freeze dried krill.

paraiba_payara-01.JPG

polys.payara.grp-01.jpg

lapradei_payara-10.JPG

vulpinus.jpg

vulpinuskrill-02.jpg

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
i had one that refused to eat
so it died

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I want to eat one that size.

magic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
East Bay
Would u mind sayin what fish store? I live by SLO and i would want to check em out! They look really cool.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I'd rather have one of these than a wolf to be honest. Wolves are boring, strictly lurking predators.

Now my SH, that's a killer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store