Angelfish with Severums

MLEgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
Hither and Yon
can they go together or no?I had a jewel cichlid but my dominant angel killed it.I thought they were supposed to be able to hold heir own?:irked:

My LFS has like 4 different types I saw and they all look really cute to me,especially the gold ones.

My tank is a 72 gallon bowfront....errr,for filtration I have....ummm.....ummmm...2 big ones on the back and one big one underneath.....(a can filter?)

And I have a few other fish in the tank,thats why I didnt put this in the angelfish or the cichlid section...... I can maybe find out their names if I need to.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
so you have a canister filter, and 2 HOB filters (hang on back). jewel cichlids are african cichlids and there for not normally recomended with other cichlids. however i have talked to a bunch of people that have mixed different species of cichlids together, with out problems. dominant angels can be very very very aggressive and with a new tank member being stessed is an easy target. i would normally be worried about the angelfish being picked on, but a lot of this has to do with the size of the fish and the difference in size is any. your thread titles says you want severums with angelfish. jewel cichlids are not severums. gold or turqouise severums would be okay with angelfish, but try to size correctly.

MLEgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
Hither and Yon
yeah I looked and its a fluval 405 underneath.The ones on top are an Aquaclear 70 and an emperor 400.

Sorry about the mix up what I meant to say was:

"My LFS has like 4 different types of severums I saw and they all look really cute to me,especially the gold ones."

the angesl dont bother anything else.he just didnt like that jewel.two of the other fish are called gouramis and one is called a purple spotted gudgeon or goby.Also there is a senegal bichir in there.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I don't know. Severums can rank pretty high on the nasty-o-meter. The severum would eventually out grow the angel and probably kill them.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
softturtle;814105; said:
I don't know. Severums can rank pretty high on the nasty-o-meter. The severum would eventually out grow the angel and probably kill them.
severums generally reach about 6-8" depending on feed and tank size. the pair would be fine as long as you seperated them when the severums get larger. another method you could try is to let the angel get larger then that severums you would like to put in the tank, give them to chance to get dominant, than add slightly smaller severums and this way your aggression should level out for a while. however as stated by softturtle, they will out grow angels. to make life easier in the long run, i would consider another alternative for tankmates. German blue rams, bolivian rams, and keyhole cichlids would all be great tankmates as far as aggression and water parameters go!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store