why are my dats scared?

89hatcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2007
hawaii
Hi I'm new to this forum. I had my dats for a while now and its about 1.5 inches and they seem to hide all the time like behind the heater or under the drift wood. Also, when i turn on the aquarium light on the just won't come out but when it's off they start swimming around and when i move closer to the tank they just run and hide. Thanks in advance everyone for your help.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
89hatcher;832109; said:
Hi I'm new to this forum. I had my dats for a while now and its about 1.5 inches and they seem to hide all the time like behind the heater or under the drift wood. Also, when i turn on the aquarium light on the just won't come out but when it's off they start swimming around and when i move closer to the tank they just run and hide. Thanks in advance everyone for your help.

I have exactly the same situation with four imported Indo's....they eat, swim, etc, as long as they're alone and in dim lighting...they pale and hide and act berserk when i show up or turn on their tank light..i will not stress.... what will be, will be..main thing they're eating...:)

dbenson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
I've got some experience with this. I picked up 3 little indos a while ago and put them in my 120g tank, which some would say isn't a good idea because they might have trouble finding food. However, all showed great color and personality, even coming to the front glass to beg for food. After I added some larger fish, I moved them to a 20g on my desk to grow out a bit more. Guess what? I never see them because they always hide under my driftwood. I think it might have to do with competition. In the 120 they were with lots of smaller fish, like young clown loaches, always out and about. In the 20g they are alone.

I'm going to try adding some small fish with them in the 20 to maybe make them more comfortable. I'm sure it woudn't hurt for you to try the same.

ditm10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2006
Philly
Sounds like I'm not alone. Just got two 4" thin bars last week and they hide all day behind the drift wood and even under my 6" CK. Really weird. Hopefully they will get comfortable with their new home and start swimming around.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I'll add some small loaches..like that advice,,

sQwiReL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
@ Home
small dats are always scared and shy at first. give them some time and they will get to know you and be more active. as for thin bars... mine are always scared and they are bigger than my indos. i rarely see them out of hiding.

ditm10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2006
Philly
I didn't know that about thin bars. Have other people found that thin bars hide more than other dats?

dbenson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2006
ditm10;833498; said:
I didn't know that about thin bars. Have other people found that thin bars hide more than other dats?
I think that's the general consensus.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I've only had thin bars up till a couple of days ago....they are shy, es..thank God Indo's will be more forthcoming...

89hatcher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2007
hawaii
tried adding the small clown loaches but still they don't want to come out only when the lights out. and they seem to be loosing there color when the light is on. i heard you have to keep the light on so that they will get used to the light is that true?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store