Apr 16, 2007
earth
I am getting a bowfin and need some info on it:help2:

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
large growing native fish, they grow 2'+ long, need large aquariums, prefferabley with footprints of at least 8'x30", mine don't accept prepared foods, only things like worms etc, heavy filtration, native speices are dirty fish. good luck

fwlion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2005
NASHVILLE,TN
"anything else in the tank will be eaten" NOT TRUE

I've got one and she would much rather take cichlids pellets then live I put in Goldfish and rosey reds for my bichirs and knives every great once in a while

MY BOWFIN IS ONE OF THE MOST GENTLE FISH I OWN

very cool fish LOVES HIKARI CICHILDS BIO-GOLD

use to eat feeders but now WON'T touch them I've watched her plenty of times swim right thru a school of rosy reds in the tank just to get to a pellet

to bad I might have to get rid of her :cry: :cry: :cry:

she is about 12in. long

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
"anything else in the tank will be eaten" NOT TRUE
This may be the case with your fish but it is hardly the case with all fish. Bowfin can become very aggressive. I have personally had calm ones and psycho ones so there is no general truth here on this. It can go either way.

I would suggest raising it with other fish you are not to attached to until it's temperament is very well known. They usually get more aggressive with age.

Bowfin rarely get to 20 inches in captivity and when older they tend to not be very active until you feed them. A wide 155 gallon typically is fine for a single fish. They still have potential to get larger than 20 inches so an upgrade on this may be needed.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
My bowfin was also a gentle fish. The only time I got it to eat a live fish was when I starved it for like 2 weeks and it only ate it cuz it basically swam in it's mouth.

Chad

focker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2006
usa
mine is also gentle but will attack back if being attacked. but all my fish in the tank are also larger then the bowfin. 8-9 inches

Deminon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
michigan
i don't know to much about bowfin (but i am looking into geting 1:)) i know they get pretty big, they also have a pretty good set of teeth. i've heard of fishermen catching them and being biten when trying to remove the hook.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store