Help To Bring Asian Aros Back To The US...

prophets

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
USA
Interesting.

I think the best and more practical way is to try and get the breeders involved. If they were to open a business in the US along with american partners/sponsors to breed the asian aro's here. Only thing that would be a a major hinderance is where to breed them. Fla seems like a good place but it does get cold there. HI would probably be the most suitable location.

Imagine DFI or Panda opens a breeding farm in HI, of course with the permits and what not. Would these aro's still be on the ban list with USFWS? I would certainly hope not since they're bred in the US. With every aro bred in captivity here and sold, a portion of that money should go to the Conservation Efforts in SE asia.

Just a hypothetical idea.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
prophets;842591; said:
Interesting.

I think the best and more practical way is to try and get the breeders involved. If they were to open a business in the US along with american partners/sponsors to breed the asian aro's here. Only thing that would be a a major hinderance is where to breed them. Fla seems like a good place but it does get cold there. HI would probably be the most suitable location.

Imagine DFI or Panda opens a breeding farm in HI, of course with the permits and what not. Would these aro's still be on the ban list with USFWS? I would certainly hope not since they're bred in the US. With every aro bred in captivity here and sold, a portion of that money should go to the Conservation Efforts in SE asia.

The organization will have a voice at the european conference. And, the conference will have aro farm owners in attendance.
The problem with establishing US breeding operations is that these aros are banned from entering the country due to their current status on the ESA. There are no "proper permits" to obtain because they don't, as yet, exist. That's part of what the site is trying to achieve.

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
prophets;842591; said:
Interesting.

The fish would be no different than those bred in south east Asia. Same species. Still illegal. I don't know about that being practical either. They're shipped to Canada right now. This would be no different.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Location for farming these aros wouldn't pose any large problems. There are several indoor hatcheries available in the US market that are closed due to loss of gov't funding. My little 8000 sq/ft indoor hatchery could house several breeding pairs and a sufficient number of grow-out ponds.

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
prophets;842591; said:
HI would probably be the most suitable location.

Imagine DFI or Panda opens a breeding farm in HI.
That would probably be the best suited climate region for breeding in the US. That would be just awesome, I'd be there learning all kind's of stuff ;)

prophets

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
USA
Therein lies the problem. They still classify it as illegal. I'm sure a "special" permit or exception can be made if there was to be a US farm for asian aros. Its just that the gov't doesn't really care one way or another.

If they allowed it to happen, it would surely help out the conservation effort. With the money generated here and a percentage towards the effort would be a plus and makes sense.

With the availability of illegal asians here, whether its from Canada or wild caught which is probably the case...the captive bred ones here if allowed should cut out the illegally obtained aros available.

Whether or not the aro's bred indoor or outdoor...if they allow it to occur, the black market will die off.

Maybe its just me, but when things makes sense, the gov't never listens. :irked:

excerpt from ESA:
(d) PERMIT AND EXEMPTION POLICY.-The Secretary may grant exceptions under subsections (a)(1)(A) and (b) of this section only if he finds and publishes his finding in the Federal Register that
(1) such exceptions were applied for in good faith,
(2) if granted and exercised will not operate to the disadvantage of such endangered spe- cies, and
(3) will be consistent with the purposes and policy set forth in section 2 of this Act.

But on the positive of things, anything is possible. Just a matter of wait and see.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
prophets;843035; said:
Therein lies the problem. They still classify it as illegal. I'm sure a "special" permit or exception can be made if there was to be a US farm for asian aros. Its just that the gov't doesn't really care one way or another.

If they allowed it to happen, it would surely help out the conservation effort. With the money generated here and a percentage towards the effort would be a plus and makes sense.

With the availability of illegal asians here, whether its from Canada or wild caught which is probably the case...the captive bred ones here if allowed should cut out the illegally obtained aros available.

Whether or not the aro's bred indoor or outdoor...if they allow it to occur, the black market will die off.

Maybe its just me, but when things makes sense, the gov't never listens. :irked:

excerpt from ESA:
(d) PERMIT AND EXEMPTION POLICY.-The Secretary may grant exceptions under subsections (a)(1)(A) and (b) of this section only if he finds and publishes his finding in the Federal Register that
(1) such exceptions were applied for in good faith,
(2) if granted and exercised will not operate to the disadvantage of such endangered spe- cies, and
(3) will be consistent with the purposes and policy set forth in section 2 of this Act.

But on the positive of things, anything is possible. Just a matter of wait and see.
i dont like wait and see.... register on http://www.savethearowana.com and lend a hand :) :) :) :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store