are there hybrid gars?????

bad fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2007
earth
i just got a gar and i cant identify it.could it be a hybrid:confused: :confused: :confused:

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
show pictures

and yes there are hybrid gars

ever herd of a crocodile gar or mozaic gar!!

jonnie5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2008
ca bayarea
read today in a mag that there was a gator gar and a long nose gar hybrid.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
there is a few gar hybrids
very rare (not many people want 1) and if u find 1 let know plz
oh and pics

Thedaniokeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Small town near Toronto
Pics would be nice

wonderboy1377s

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2009
wisconsin
Yes gars hybridize. My Icthyology prof. was doing dna testing of gars in wisconsin. The are gars that look very simmular to spotted even tho they have never been found in any numbers here. I only know of one. They have spots all over there head and snout which neither of our long nose or short nose gars do. There is evidence that where these gars are present in the same body of water it is not that uncommon for them to form hybrids that resemble spotted gars.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
wonderboy1377s;2719597; said:
Yes gars hybridize. My Icthyology prof. was doing dna testing of gars in wisconsin. The are gars that look very simmular to spotted even tho they have never been found in any numbers here. I only know of one. They have spots all over there head and snout which neither of our long nose or short nose gars do. There is evidence that where these gars are present in the same body of water it is not that uncommon for them to form hybrids that resemble spotted gars.
If a spotted gar was found in Wisconsin it would be Quite out of it's range and to my knowledge they have never been reported from there. I'd like some more info on this.

Longnosed X Shortnose hybrids are highly suspected but not fully confirmed. They really look nothing like spotted gar though and I'm not sure how spots would be diagnostic of a hybrid. Both Shortnose and Longnosed can have spotting on the head. More so with longnosed..

Below is a pic of a suspected Short X Long hybrid.

mediusfullfish.jpg

medius.jpg

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
nice gar. poly have you seen any croc II for sale at all?????just figured id ask.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store