Breeding Convict Questions

unbeatablec

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2007
Michigan
pimpmytank.createmybb.com
Can they be bred in a rubbermaid tub????
What temperature does the water need to be at???
What decor do I need for them to breed??
What size tank/tub do they need to breed??

I have a 10 gallon with some cool decor, a little skull, a little cave, and a shipwreck. it is barebottom, do I need gravel. I still need to buy a filter and a heater for the 10g.

Thanks in advance, and will they breed fast enough to feed 6 (7") piranha's??

canucksfan1

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
gibsons
i don't think one pair will have enough to feed your piranhas solely convicts but they will save you alot of money on feeder fish and are alot cleaner
i think as long as the rubbermaid has filtration and heat it should be fine i would say around 80 degrees is what my spawned at and i would use a put or some sort of cave for decor and the size of the tub could be anywhere from 20 to as large as you want for breeding

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
It takes about 4 months on average to grow out convicts to feeder size (3/4-1"). With an established pair of cons you can regulate them to breed about once a month. So for what you would like to do you will need a tank for the parents 29g would be best but a 20g will work. A 10g tank for new fry. A 10g tank for 1 month fry. A 20g for 2 month fry. A 29g for growing the fry from 1/2" and up.

With lots of water changes, warmer water and feeding 3-4x daily you can get the fry to grow quicker. It sounds like a bunch, but once youget it going it works out well. Look at it this way you really would only need to but a new tank every month for the next few months.

You could also just add the fry to your 135g with the Ps once they are about 1/2". The fry will clean up alot of debree and the will get picked off as they grow bigger.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Bderick67;850242; said:
It takes about 4 months on average to grow out convicts to feeder size (3/4-1"). With an established pair of cons you can regulate them to breed about once a month. So for what you would like to do you will need a tank for the parents 29g would be best but a 20g will work. A 10g tank for new fry. A 10g tank for 1 month fry. A 20g for 2 month fry. A 29g for growing the fry from 1/2" and up.

With lots of water changes, warmer water and feeding 3-4x daily you can get the fry to grow quicker. It sounds like a bunch, but once youget it going it works out well. Look at it this way you really would only need to but a new tank every month for the next few months.

You could also just add the fry to your 135g with the Ps once they are about 1/2". The fry will clean up alot of debree and the will get picked off as they grow bigger.

Great advice!! Guess i never thought about it quite like that. I now have the perfect excuse for 3 more small tanks! kind of like the sea of green theory only with fish. Thanks!

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Any excuse for more tanks is a good excuse :D

Walmart has 10g tanks for ten dollars, and Pet Supermarket sells them for nine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store