Just a couple of questions about the Gar!

JohnnyPhillips

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2005
6820 Rockport Ln Mentor Oh 44060
I just bought a 3.5 inc asian Gar from R.M.S. and i heard they grow too about 1 1/2 foot i got a 220 for it but i was wondering besides guppy and molly babies what i could feed him because i had to take him out of the breeding tank because my dad didnt like the fact that all his babbies were getting eaten so i had to put him in a 75 gallon tank with like 20+ medium sized angels and 1 5 in red zebra ciclid and i wonderd what i should feed him since he doesnt have the small babies to eat now?
I would like to know your input on what i should do with it because i do like the species and this is my first fish that could grow really big. All the tanks are at 79 F
normal nitrate and nitrite and amounia and i do 2 50% waterchanges since thier is so many fish in their.Any information is good information.
Thanks Johnny

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
First realize its not a true gar.There are no true gars to be found outside the Americas.What you have is most likely Xenentodon cancila.
normal ammonia is 0 normal nitrIte is 0 in a cycled tank.As for food there are predators they eat fish you could try floating carnivore sticks.otherwise guppy fry and or guppies and as it grows molly fry and of course mollies-Anne

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
it's not a gar :D

It's as much of a gar as the "rocket gar" or hujeta, which is actually a characin.

They are related to halfbeaks and are needlefish, not Asian gars.

I've never had one though, how is it so far? Active? Hungry?

furious piranha

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
i doubt its the same kind, but my friend once bouut an "asian" gar from the lfs n he had it for 8 onhts n its never grown over 6 inches. hopefully u didnt buy that

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store