Six- and seven-banded frontosa are same species

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Six- and seven-banded morphs of Cyphotilapia frontosa have been shown to be members of the same species.

New specimens of the six-banded morph of Cyphotilapia frontosa collected from the northern half of Lake Tanganyika, and specimens of the seven-banded morph of C. frontosa collected from Kigoma, Tanzania, have allowed scientists to analyse differences between the two morphs.

Tetsumi Takahashi, Benjamin Ngatunga and Jos Snoeks, who reported their findings in the latest issue of Ichthyological Research, the journal of the Ichthyological Society of Japan, said that the two morphs were conspecific.

The authors said that both morphs could easily be told apart from Cyphotilapia gibberosa - the second Cyphotilapia species described in 2003.

"The six- and seven-banded morphs of C. frontosa could be easily distinguished from C. gibberosa because C. frontosa has fewer scales between the upper and lower lateral lines and a more elongated body", the authors wrote.

"The six-band morph is easily distinguished from the seven-banded morph by its colour pattern and geographical pattern."

Although the dorsal-fin base length and the number of dorsal spines was much greater in the six-band morph, the morphs were still considered to be a single species because there was an overlap between the two.

The number of anal-fin spines was invariable, so was not included in statistical analyses. The other 11 meristic characters examined, including scale and tooth counts, differed between morphs but also overlapped.

The study is a follow-up to the Takahashi and Nakaya paper of 2003 which split the Cyphotilapia genus in two, and described Cyphotilapia gibberosa from the southern end of the Lake.

A lack of specimens of the six- and seven-banded morphs in the original study meant that Takahashi and Nakaya were unable to discuss the taxonomic position of the morphs in the same paper.

The seven-banded Cyphotilapia frontosa examined were collected from Kigoma, Tanzania, at a depth of 24-25m, while the six-banded morph came from eight localities including Bujumbura, Luhanga, Pemba, Gitaza, Nyanza lac, Kolobo, Kabimba and Tembwe in the northern half of the Lake.

Cyphotilapia gibberosa occurs only in the southern portion of the Lake, with the specimens examined having been captured in Kasenga, Moliro, Cape Kaku, Mtondwe Island, Kilewa Bay and Myako.

You can view the distribution of C. frontosa and C. gibberosa on Fish Mapper.

For more information see the paper: Takahashi T, Ngatunga B and J Snoeks (2007) - Taxonomic status of the six-band morph of Cyphotilapia frontosa (Perciformes: Cichlidae) from Lake Tanganyika, Africa. Ichthyological Research, 2007, 54: 55-60.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
davo;870985; said:
Six- and seven-banded morphs of Cyphotilapia frontosa have been shown to be members of the same species.

New specimens of the six-banded morph of Cyphotilapia frontosa collected from the northern half of Lake Tanganyika, and specimens of the seven-banded morph of C. frontosa collected from Kigoma, Tanzania, have allowed scientists to analyse differences between the two morphs.

Tetsumi Takahashi, Benjamin Ngatunga and Jos Snoeks, who reported their findings in the latest issue of Ichthyological Research, the journal of the Ichthyological Society of Japan, said that the two morphs were conspecific.

The authors said that both morphs could easily be told apart from Cyphotilapia gibberosa - the second Cyphotilapia species described in 2003.

"The six- and seven-banded morphs of C. frontosa could be easily distinguished from C. gibberosa because C. frontosa has fewer scales between the upper and lower lateral lines and a more elongated body", the authors wrote.

"The six-band morph is easily distinguished from the seven-banded morph by its colour pattern and geographical pattern."

Although the dorsal-fin base length and the number of dorsal spines was much greater in the six-band morph, the morphs were still considered to be a single species because there was an overlap between the two.

The number of anal-fin spines was invariable, so was not included in statistical analyses. The other 11 meristic characters examined, including scale and tooth counts, differed between morphs but also overlapped.

The study is a follow-up to the Takahashi and Nakaya paper of 2003 which split the Cyphotilapia genus in two, and described Cyphotilapia gibberosa from the southern end of the Lake.

A lack of specimens of the six- and seven-banded morphs in the original study meant that Takahashi and Nakaya were unable to discuss the taxonomic position of the morphs in the same paper.

The seven-banded Cyphotilapia frontosa examined were collected from Kigoma, Tanzania, at a depth of 24-25m, while the six-banded morph came from eight localities including Bujumbura, Luhanga, Pemba, Gitaza, Nyanza lac, Kolobo, Kabimba and Tembwe in the northern half of the Lake.

Cyphotilapia gibberosa occurs only in the southern portion of the Lake, with the specimens examined having been captured in Kasenga, Moliro, Cape Kaku, Mtondwe Island, Kilewa Bay and Myako.

You can view the distribution of C. frontosa and C. gibberosa on Fish Mapper.

For more information see the paper: Takahashi T, Ngatunga B and J Snoeks (2007) - Taxonomic status of the six-band morph of Cyphotilapia frontosa (Perciformes: Cichlidae) from Lake Tanganyika, Africa. Ichthyological Research, 2007, 54: 55-60.
wow this is great news,

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
davo;872017; said:
it is?

do you have both then liz?
yes I have a big 7 stripe male and all the others are 6 stripes.. :D i thought i would have to take him out and get him his colony of 7 stripe which i was having a tough time locating around here... and it meant setting up another 125gal etc,

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Red Devil;872028; said:
yes I have a big 7 stripe male and all the others are 6 stripes.. :D i thought i would have to take him out and get him his colony of 7 stripe which i was having a tough time locating around here... and it meant setting up another 125gal etc,
ah i see.

well, theres all the fun of setting up a new tank...
theres always locale types :)

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
davo;872040; said:
ah i see.

well, theres all the fun of setting up a new tank...
theres always locale types :)
yes but all the 6 stripes are coming into good size and it would be very expensive to buy this guy big mature females.. so if this is all true it sure would be beneficial for me!!!!:D

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
davo;872057; said:
I'll see if i can find you the original paper for you to look at liz...
Thank you.. i will read it after lunch:)

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
I'm not sure if you need an athens account to view it (i just remembered) its 5 pages. If you cant see it, let me know and i'll email it you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store