Preserving fish

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
I was looking into preserving fish.... you know the dead specimen in a formaldehyde filled jar. Well, as i think thats a carcenogenic(?) what would be used as a substitute that i would be able to access and not have to do anything special to have. Would it be part ethanol/proponol or mixed with something? I heard of using a 70% ethanol solution with something else.

Anyway ideas :confused:

steveprovot

Feeder Fish
Apr 29, 2007
WYANDOTTE, MICHIGAN
my friend once found a oppossom mom that died and he put the dead babies in alcohol and its lasted well over 5 years i didthe same with still-born rat pups and they lasted years. my fiance has a kidney and heart from a disection of a cat in high school that was in 04 they are still fine. so long story short use alcohol like you clean cuts with it will last forever

Horiyoshi III

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
41.769N -71.129W
www.facebook.com
wizzin;874773; said:
I have a huge container of formaldehyde :naughty: However, I think you can use a strong mixture of pickling salt and borax. Don't know what the water would look like after a while though :uhoh: :yuck: It would definitely prevent decomposition though.

I think alcohol would work too. Have fun :D
I would get 100% Ethanol not Isypropyl,Isypropyl is a wood alchohol and i don't think it would be good.100% Ethanol i have no idea how you would get it,but im shure it would stay clear forever and not disintergrate specimens.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
davo;874706; said:
I was looking into preserving fish.... you know the dead specimen in a formaldehyde filled jar. Well, as i think thats a carcenogenic(?) what would be used as a substitute that i would be able to access and not have to do anything special to have. Would it be part ethanol/proponol or mixed with something? I heard of using a 70% ethanol solution with something else.

Anyway ideas :confused:
The general process for alcohol fixing a specimen is to first soak in 25% ethanol for a week or so, Take it out and then soak in 50% ethanol for a week or so then remove and place in the final solution of 70% to 80% ethanol.

ethanol concentration is always diluted with distilled water.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Preservation
I use 70% alcohol for preservation (or at least maintenance of perservation) of our specimens...this is diluted from the 95% stuff we keep on hand in the lab. the actual preservation/fixation, however, is done with formaldehyde. if the fish is larger than just a few inches then i cut the belly so the chemical can enter into the insides of the fish and preserve everything. the fish stays in the form. solution for a couple days. if its a gar or bichir, a fish that has rigid bony scales, then i take the fish out after 2-3 days and just let it air dry. the fish is now dry preserved.

if im doing a standard preservation i take the fish out after 2-3 days and let it sit in a container of water to soak out the formalin. after a day in the water the fish is removed and placed into a container of 70% alcohol for long-term preservation.
as far as using other alcohol, i think as long as its relatively pure and the proof is about 140 you should be ok...in theory

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
steveprovot;874775; said:
my friend once found a oppossom mom that died ...
I think everyone has had dead oppossum babies in a jar. I am not sure if I still have mine. They will last forever in rubbing alcohol.

Fabio's Dad

Annie the Sun Conure
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Colfax, WA USA
I use 70% for all sorts of things like spiders, fw fish, midgets. But I've never been successfull with sw fish with that method.

Fabio's Dad

Annie the Sun Conure
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Colfax, WA USA
I was just being silly. However, as I read that last post, I realized that it may have been quite offensive to many people. I'm really sorry if anyone was offended by that.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
SW fish are ok if you are going to eat them later. Fw fish will taste funny. Midgets are too stringy...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store