Breeding Mystery Snails....a few questions

Becca3711

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2007
Illinois, USA
How long after a mating will a female mystery snail lay her eggs? I know they can stay fertile for months, as I have done some research, but in optimum conditions, what would you say?

Also, do snails mate for pleasure? Because my male gold snail probably does it at least five times a day. But Im not sure which female he gets, because all of my females are identical looking. Also, do female snails have to be "in the mood" to mate? Will they deny a male if he is coming on to her? I have tried looking on places, such as applesnail.net etc etc and have not come up with answers to my questions posted here.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
i had mystery snails blue and gold and the blue would breed alot. One day they would be attached to each other , then maybe 3 days later the female would lay eggs come back get attached and go back and lay eggs again . Some clutches got wet because in my attempt to remove them they would fal; :( and once clutches get wet they die. they lay eggs outside so if you see eggs outside check around the tank cuase the snail may have fallen off like mine once did.

christopherhicks

Feeder Fish
May 31, 2007
Missouri
how do you tell the mail from the female? I have a black mystery snail and a gold mysery snail. If I was able to tell amle from female I would get a pair of each. Can different colors cross breed? thanks

Becca3711

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2007
Illinois, USA
the easiest way to tell is to watch when they're mating, because the male will always be on top. You can confirm that the top one is male, because you can see them doing their thing, the 'male part' will be white and almost looks like their siphon, except is on the right side of the body. Its a little shorter and fatter.

SOMETIMES, if you have 2 snails so compare, hold them out of the water, and let their foots face you. Wait until they come out of their shell, and you may be able to tell the difference between a male and female. The male's penis is on the upper right of the body in the shell, right in front of the gill. The female will just have an empty space where the penis would normally be. Hope that helps.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
The term mystery snail covers a few snails commonly sold.
I breed pomacea bridgsii concentrating on purple.
Ive found A 70% waterchange with water 10f or so cooler gets them laying that night almost every time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store