thinking of getting a motoro

100GAL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
RIGHT HERE
I have a 125 gallon tank (as some of you might have seen some of my pictures)
I currently have

1-10.5" florida gar
1-8" bichir sen.
1-15" fire eel
1-5" texas cichlid
2-5" jack dempseys

I really want to get a small motoro like 5-6" and start growing him out in this tank.
Would you say that my tank is too over stocked to add one? I will be upgrading my tank around next spring time...income tax season!!!!
to a wider tank atleast 24" wide...if not bigger.

Would i need to be concerned with my other fish? They dont pick on anything unless they are the same body shape as them...ie texas and jacks fight but leave everything else alone.

jdepasqu2

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
philadelphia
when in doubt keep your rays by themselves....., unless you dont mind loosing money and a pet.......

100GAL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
RIGHT HERE
I see a lot of people on here with a bichir and a gar with them. Maybe I should be worried about this .I was mainly concerned about the cichlids.....or even tank size.

Not real concerned that I would have a problem with cichlids.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
bichirs can be a problem. i haven't had a problem at all really yet, but they have attempted to eat the eyes off my motoro without luck. bichirs can bite the disc and the eyes off stingrays. as well as the tails.

cichlids i dont recommend with rays in anyway. cichlids pick at the tail and are lil stinkin biters regularly. stingrays dont like that.

lastly, you can grow one out in ur tank, but may not be able to keep it for more then a year or so. depending on ur feeding habbits, eventually it'll need a larger tank.

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
Wow the tankmates is the question. I think a small motoro (5-6" disk) will be fine in there for a year but a fire eel, texas, bichir.. I hate to say it but it might be a try it and see what happens thing. I wouldn;t do it if your cichlids dig alot or are large and overly aggressive. I've done smaller gt's and such with smaller motoros with no issues.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
I wouldn't try it plus your gonna need a tank deeper than 2'... 3' should be the minimum for motoro

Alex.P

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2007
London
I would say get a new tank around 7' 3' 50-60. If you really want a ray swap you cichlids and bichires for a yepezi or two. I wouldn't advice you to keep a ray with the tankmates that you own.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store