D.Campbelli Communitiy

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
I've read somewhere that Cambelli cannot be kept in small groups, how true is this?

alfon76

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
Datnioides campbelli are the most aggressive of all datnoid species and are very intolerant of each other for the most part.

However, with that said, you can keep them in a group much like you would african cichlids. The key is to give them enough space and hiding places for them to retire when attacked or just to hang out. I currently have a group of 6 in a 60 gallon tank that are in the 1.5 to 3 inch range. I also have a group of 5 in a 300 gallon that are in the 4-5 inch range. And finally I have a group of 6 in a 400 gallon tank that range from 7 to 14 inches. They all get along 98% of the time and the 2% they quarrel only lasts for 2 seconds or so.

Ivan

truman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
i see, Thanks Alfon.

My 3 Dats live in an absoloutely bare tank so there isn't much hiding to be done. It has taken the better part of a month to become tolerant of each other, water quality it seems and lighting play a large part to the comfort of the tigers.

Do you light your tank? Or do Dats prefer murky dark environments?

alfon76

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
I keep my tanks lighted but always with hiding places. I also have the water well filtered and do water changes weekly anyway to ensure good fish health.

NGT's are hard to keep in groups but not impossible and if you have the time, the money and the desire, I say go for it.

Ivan

Jesse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
julnj2 said:
I know these dats are in high demand$$, but compared to pulchers they are just plain ugly.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My personal Datnioides heirarchy is:

1) D. pulcher - best looks IMO
2) D. campbelli - rarity and novelty
3) D. undecimradiatus - very consistent barring
4) D. microlepis - most variable IMO
5) D. quadrifasciatus - bullet shape does not appeal to me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store