Red Ear Slider Turtle-Help Please

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Red Ear Sliders are so common in pet stores here. I once wanted to own one, but I did not have the space to provide a habitat.

I just got home from two pet stores here and while buying fish food, I glanced at the baby Red Ear Sliders, very small..about 2 inches in length or a little over. Suddenly this idea crossed my mind, I live in an apartment with my family and there is space at the back of my house that gets direct sunlight everyday.

Thinking of the sunlight I thought, well at least the sunlight problem would be solved for me and I can build a habitat for him there, water, basking area and some hiding place.

Should this solve it for me and able me to own a Red Ear Slider? I am pushing it am I not? Other reasons that didn't make me get a RES is due to having to see a vet, do you guys take your turtles or reptiles to vets? I prefer a small sized turtle and isn't a male RES smaller than the female? How small really? ( I have checked online before, I am checking again ). Due to the size issue, I changed my mind to the Cumberland Slider, which is a smaller species. Besides, Salmonella bacteria is the major reason for me to leave the idea of having a turtle.

I checked the RES on another pet store nearby, the shopkeeper showed me and wow...poor babies, all about to die and a thick awful smell came in the air...just want money, couldn't even provide a heating light. I just nodded and left. What is the growth rate of a RES?

So, I should not push this but plan properly in the future right?

2jade133.jpg

turtle.jpg

0001.jpg

red.jpg

slider.jpg

0004.jpg

0011.jpg

paul112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2006
United Kingdom
Direct sunlight? Turtle's need UVB light, which is provided by the sun, or a special reptile bulb, but UVB will not go through glass or plastic. It is very easily filtered out.

Males get about 8"+, females get 12". There is no way of sexing them until they are 4", unless you know the temperature they were incubated at.
They should have 10G of water per inch of shell, so a 12" RES could need a 100G tank. They also need a filter rated for 2-3X the volume of the tank, because they are a lot messier that fish.

The setup for one will easily run into hundreds. The turtle will be cheap, but keeping it alive will not be. They will reach adult size in just a few years, if given proper care. They also live for up to 40 years, so don't make the decision too quickly.

A lot of reptiles carry Salmonella in the gut, and if they are in poor conditions, it is a lot more likely.

Here are two of my links:
Housing the Red Eared Slider
A Diet Summary for Sliders

Paul

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store