What Should You Medicate Dats With?

Monstaf1sh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Perth, Australia
Hey guys,

My new dat 3 inches has started flashing ive added salt and raised the temp not too worried at the moment but if flukes are suspected is praziquantel safe to use on dats?

Can any one speculate on what meds are safe to use on dats? ive read on a few threads that small dats can be sensitve to meds.

I would like to hear what other dat keepers have done with treating these fish and what they were treating it for so it can help me and maybe others keep happy healthy dats.

Cheers .

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
sorry, but prepare for the worst..Never had it in my dats but what I hear ( and read over here ) is that once they start quickbreathing they're goners...Let's hope your dat disbelieves this theory...

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
if its just scratching its self on the gravel rocks or filter pipes its normal all tigers do it

if you can see spots or fungus or anything un normal then treat it

it would help if we knew what flashing was

Monstaf1sh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Perth, Australia
Flashing/Scratching looks to be irritation around the gills ive checked the water its not that. It has had fungus before though.

Has anyone used any medication for anything and been successful with dats?

sQwiReL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
@ Home
there is a thread on it about that. if i remember correctly the guy mentioned that this gill infection is more of the medication damaging the gills to the point that it suffocates the gill membrane causing this end result of rapid breathing.

sQwiReL

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2007
@ Home
i forgot what meds the other guy used. try looking for the thread, he had some pretty interesting information on there. he also went as far as taking the dead datnoid as a sample to some science place. as far as my personal experience... ive treated my dats with melafix and pimafix... but at the same time people dont believe in it and think its too harmful for your dats. i kinda just figured... if they are going to die, i might as well try something to save them instead of sitting around and watch them die. my dats did ok with melafix and pimafix, but i half dosed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store