Red Swamp Crayfish ( Procambarus Clarkii )

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
I was eager to get a pair of these, and I did...months ago. I also baught a pair of the Rainbow Crabs and placed them all together.

Aggression? No, it started a little then surprisingly they all tolerated each other. At first I only had one Red Swamp Crayfish, placed in a tank with full water having the Crayfish submerged completely.

I was thinking if I needed to let the Crayfish be able to get air. But I see some of you have your crayfish fully submerged leaving them at the bottom with the surface inches away from the Crayfish.

My Crayfish was totally fine. Then I baught a bigger tank, and baught the rest of the invertebrates I mentioned. The deco was gravels, bogwood, rock and plants. The water was only about 3-4 inches high, the Rainbow Crabs when submerging in the water would now and then raise up to breathe air, and...so did the Crayfishes. Hmm, why didn't the Crayfish do that before?

The tank would get dirty with decaying odour that I had to do waterchanges everyday. It was because of the Crayfish, strange...when the water was full, the water didn't get that bad within a day, it went on fine...but now it was horrible. Finally I go so fed up and frustrated that I gave up on all of them, I sent them back to the LFS and told them I couldn't handle anymore.

How do you guys handle your Crayfish?

redswampcrayfish.jpg

GanjaSoulDiver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2007
Humboldt County
Mine's in a full 30 gallon with convicts and the water stays clean mostly because of him, he cleans the bottom, I don't feed him, he just lives off what I feed the fish. Super healthy, ridiculously long claws. It's a Blue Crayfish. He lives in his bamboo pipe and gaurds it the best he can. Tries to hunt fish but he's not as sneaky as he thinks. Sticks to get above the fish greatly improve their hunting.

Masta Flan

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Houston,Tx
nolapete;897749; said:
Those look about the right size to boil.

My family just bought 75 lbs. of it. I still dont know how 6 people can eat all of them. Good stuff I tell you, good stuff :headbang2

me_wee_todded

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2006
Permian Basin
www.myspace.com
grab them right by the carapace just behind the claws if you handle them.
they dont breathe air they are completly aquatic.
they WILL EAT ANYTHING.

i find that they are rather easy to care for until they moult.
i had two moult at the same time and they ate each other

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store