RTC and TSN Information

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Alright everyone, this thread is for redtail catfish questions, experiences and advice. If you have one, had one, want one, considering, or just curious this is the spot. Anyone with something about these guys jump on this bandwagon!!!:naughty:

Reactions: Loco Lucas

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Here I'll start. has anyone ever seen an adipose fin grow boney fin rays like mine? He had fin and tail rot when I bought him, and now that it's healed he seems to be growing boney fin rays on top of his adipose fin which is supposed to be cartilage only. It really confuses me. If anyone has ever seen this before let me know. He didn't have it before the adipose fin rotted. here's some pics let me know what you think.

new house fish 367.jpg

Reactions: jjollie

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Very good idea to have a thread dedicated to such a monster. However, I'm going to open this to RTC and TSN, and the hybrid.

Stickied!

Reactions: jjollie

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Sounds good to me wyldfya. I'd like to set some ground rules if that's ok. First no flaming the newbies, this is their safe haven to learn about these great fish. Second debate away on tank size, fish size, and feeding schedules in this thread. Third (most important imo) post lost of pics! lol. But seriously everyone let's do this sticky right so that we can have a great collection of questions and answers. Hopefully people will see this thread and respond. I will keep a check on it as much as possible, and all opinions and suggestions are welcome.

Reactions: Silent_Revelation

Tuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2007
Sweden
Ok here's my Lima and RTC just chillin n' hangin around :) They always keep together. And for you that think my RTC is gonna eat the Lima, forget about it the RTC has grown huge lately and the lima's much smaller and still alive, I think it's a matter of fishy love going on here!
PS. is that gill curl on my RTC? He doesn't have heavy breath but I think the gills wierd. He was the same at the LFS, same with my TSN, both fish are better now but the gills ain't healed yet.
DSCN2295.JPG

Reactions: red tails are dope

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
a little tip for people who keep TSN's my good friend had one for a short time he grew it out for another person to have, try not to have to many large rocks in there tank try to make them about the size of a golf ball of bigger then the catfishes mouth my friend's swallowed many rocks most he puked up but some got stuck so he starved it then fed it till it stoped eating because it was too full then he added a large goldfish it wanted to eat it so bad it threw up every thing (luckely the rock to) and once the yellowish cloud settled a little bit the goldfish was gone and every thing was back to normal after a water change and some new decorations

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Good link zoo almost forgot about that one. As for catfish swallowing rocks, my hybrid swallowed 2 rocks both about twice the size of a golf ball. About 2 months later he puked them back up after I fed him a massive meal of night crawlers. I'd say if you are worried about your rtc or tsn or hybrid eating rocks or decorations do away with them all together or get some large enough that they can't eat them. Also with these cats. They are brutes, and when they are on their nightly journey for food they tend to break and eat anything in the tank. Once they are over a foot long glass heaters in the tank are a bad idea. I have switched to titanium for this very reason. I had a sliver of glass work it's way through the abdominal cavity of a rtc before. Got shocked litterally when my hybrid broke his heater, and I couldn't tell till I was shocked two or three times. So be safe go for titanium, or heater external in a sump or hooked to a return line.

Reactions: Matteus

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
what a sticky thread we got here,keep em rollin catfishmongers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store