Iridescent Shark / Pangasius Catfish

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Does anyone have the Iridescent Shark / Pangasius Catfish? I see some in home aquariums, doesn't the Iridescent Shark / Pangasius Catfish grow up to 300cm which is like 10 feet long? How do you handle such a monster catfish? I checked the Wikipedia and this one says they can only grow up to 4 feet. Can someone explain? It even says that due to small sized tanks, most iridescent sharks kept in home aquaria grow to only six to twelve inches in length.

???:confused:

That's crazy, and it also says ,"As a rule of thumb, an iridescent shark requires a minimum tank size of 150 cm (5 feet). Schools require even larger tanks." Are there different species of the Iridescent Shark / Pangasius Catfish or just one? How do I differenciate the species? What do you feed them? Thank you for your time.:)

iridescent.jpg

sanitw2.jpg

1103174040.jpg

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
there are a few differnent pangasius catfish, the largest being gigas which is ginormous! its known as the giant mekong catfish and can get up to 700lbs.

most if not all of them in the fishkeeping hobby are not this behemoth, but one of the smaller pangasius....thats not to say they get small at all. most still should get in the order of 3-4 feet, but people don't get them big enough tanks, and therefore cannot keep the water good and it stunts them a lot. These guys are amazing fish, but they just don't belong in an aquarium most of the time.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
There are several different species within the genus. The common iridescent shark (Pangasius hypophthalmus) may reach 4 ft. However, the common adult size is in the 2.5-3ft range. Definitely manageable in large home aquaria. The paroon shark (in the last pic) grows much larger.

pang.jpg

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Thanks a lot guys, that helps a lot. Now how am I to be sure which Pangasius Catfish I baught?:redface:

Yes I just baught one a few hours ago, he looks awesome and is swimming all around nonstop. I just fed him tubiflex and blood worms, he has a high dorsal fin that really gives him an entire Shark-like looks. He is just about 3 inches or just a little over, he has no stripes...just dark top with silvery sides with black edges of fins and tail. That tail looks awesome too, forked and big like a shark's.

Oddball, I am going to check those names online to get live specimen pictures, maybe I can guess which one I have baught. My digicam isn't with me right now or else I could just take a pic. Thanks again!

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
rottbo;904423; said:
how much did you pay for it that will also help to ID I bet its a hypothalmus that is the most common one available
12 Ringgit Malaysia, that would be over 3 USD. The Catfish is also native to Malaysia. Any idea?:irked: Checking Hypothalmus online...

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
hope you have a big tank for this magnificant beast! pics wouldn't hurt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store