Apr 28, 2007
wiscawwnsin
Hey ya'll um i was just wonderin' if any1 knows much about barracudas-

Tanks size
Their size
Tank Mates
Where on earth can you get one???
Etc...

I am interested in purchasing one for future reference.

Anyone have some?

Scuba Kid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
RI
I have kept sennet, the northern barracuda. This species maxes out at about 12 inches, but I've found them to be tough to keep. I collected them myself, so I'm not sure if they had it rough getting home or if they really are that sensitive. After the first couple seeming to die for no reason, I decided not to bother with them. What species are you looking at?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

chrisdef15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Australia
The main species you can buy all get huge and mainly live in open water which means they require huge tanks and shouldnt really even be considered by hobbiests.
I dont know much about small species other then they are open water also and would need perfect water quality.

alex656

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
Indianapols
Yeah they get really big, they do adapt well though. When they are small they dont really bother anything, but as they get bigger they really get aggressive and will start picking off smaller tank mates. Also, they are really skiddish, if they get spooked by you walking up to the tank they will dart off and run into the walls of the tank. Its important to realize that they will get to be 48"++. If you have the tank they are great, but no one really does.

aro-man

Candiru
MFK Member
May 14, 2005
.....thats a good question....
We catch some like the Greater barracudas in dirty, mudbottom brackish water ponds. So i would assume that they are pretty hardy...Just need a HUGE tank. Theres nothin cooler then diving and seeing a barracuda make a pass and turn one poor fish into two poor fish!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

vicedretard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
in the river
i dont know much abouth them but you can catch them near my house and they are normally 10-14 inches... feel free to stop on by we can go fishing and send you home with a wild caught saltwater baracuda...im jokin i know no one will fly here just for a fish...maybe ill post a pic next time i go fishing...

TheSaltwaterGuy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Virginia
Yeah, a LFS I used to work for had a few of the Red-Tails. They are a very cool fish and are very personable. The ones they had would eat out of your hands. Sounds scary, but yeah, they would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store