very urgent what is wrong!

adamstv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2006
costa mesa
My little gar has been having a bad week. I dont know if he will make it or if i have to put him down.

First he was eating krill wand my arowana decided he wanted is and bit his head twice in one week the second time he flipped over and ever since then he cant swim right. I hope he didnt break his back it LOOKS fine but he cant swim right at all. Its and sluggish and he cant balace. He kinda rolls around and barely ate one piece of krill. He kinda swipes hhis head and misses a lot. but i think its too much energy to get it cause he meeds to find a place wedged with plats to stay upright comfortably. his breathing is fine tho and he says calm.

Second his tail is messed up randomly as is one of his back fins. its like ripped and shrivled form i dunno what. So i hope he just cant get balace form that.

what should i do may be ill post a video of his trying.

OR may be even someone can come check him out thats around orange county.

hes one of my favorites too.... i guess hes just not ready for the big tank.:(

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
you really should post a vid or at least pics. hopefully the silver aro didnt cause him to break his back. it sounds like a spinal injury or swimbladder injury to me. being a gar the spinal injury is your likely culprit. try and get a vid or pics and just hope for the best.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
definitely sounds serious...i would start (although i hope this has already been done for obvious reasons) by separating the arowana and the gar. when these fish are young its really never a good idea to keep them together. it sometimes works, but when it doesn't, the younger fishes will often times end up injured.

keep an eye on the fish and try to reduce the current in the tank as much as possible. find out if it can feed at the surface or has to feed off the bottom due to its injury, and then feed the appropriate food for its location (krill/pellets if its at the top, shrimp on a feeding stick if its on the bottom). posting a video will also help us figure out what is wrong. sorry to hear about your fish, hopefully it can recover--
--solomon

adamstv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2006
costa mesa
yes i seperated them al ready of course haha, and hes in a 55 with a RTC and pike cichlid that is chill as hell. they dont even look at him. The tank has very low current and the water moves a little on the left only with thick fake vegetation at the surface for him to lay in. he ate a piece of krill and im still trying to make him eat it. ill post a vid

thanks guys

islander671

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Do you notice any visible wounds on the Gar? that bonytongue of your aro may have punctured him somewhere. Gars have pretty tough scales but its worth a look. if you do find an open wound be sure to treat it.

adamstv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2006
costa mesa
well today i looked and zero wounds..... the aro just barely grabbed his nose.... he barely even cut his nose.

but today he was struggling again..

i walked in and he was up side down breathing calmly
i turned him over and he weged into some plants. he has will to live i know but just cant swim rtight. im worried it is his back as he seems to swim and favor to the left with his tail and barly kick right.

what ever could i do...... poor guy

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
any updates on the gar?

adamstv

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2006
costa mesa
actually yeas i was just about to post.... he pulled for a couple days but seemed to have no change. HE was never able to fully swim but one day i came home to him upside down still breathing and trying. I new it was time, so i picked him up rapped him in a towel and one swift hit in the head with the hammer ended it.

must have been a serious spine injury. I could tell after a while. It was pretty devastating to see such amighty fish one day and a helpless litttle guy the next. Oh well he made a good run.

i guess its just part of the hobby :/

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
adamstv;920501; said:
actually yeas i was just about to post.... he pulled for a couple days but seemed to have no change. HE was never able to fully swim but one day i came home to him upside down still breathing and trying. I new it was time, so i picked him up rapped him in a towel and one swift hit in the head with the hammer ended it.

must have been a serious spine injury. I could tell after a while. It was pretty devastating to see such amighty fish one day and a helpless litttle guy the next. Oh well he made a good run.

i guess its just part of the hobby :/
sorry for your loss. any plans on getting another gar?

suckerfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
LAGASH
that sucks. but, yes it is part of our great hobbie. you ended his suffering, and that's not an easy thing to do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store